Score: Oral Roberts 2 – South Dakota State 3
Records: ORU (9-17, 6-8 SL) – SDSU (6-21, 3-11 SL)
Location: Frost Arena (Brookings, S.D.)
BROOKINGS, S.D. – CeCe Madison had a career-best 27 digs and four players recorded double-doubles for the Oral Roberts volleyball team, but it was not enough in a five-set loss at South Dakota State (25-21, 22-25, 28-30, 25-22, 9-15) Sunday afternoon at Frost Arena.
The Golden Eagles hit nearly .400 on their way to a win in the opening set getting five kills from both Inka Inkret and Katarina Mikulic. A back-and-forth battle ensued in the second stanza with the Jackrabbits making a late charge to even the match.
The third set was a wild finish as both sides had three set points before the home team scored three of the final four points to take the set. ORU battled back from an early deficit in the fourth set and pushed late scoring the last four points to force a fifth frame.
A 4-1 start to the final set by the Jackrabbits proved too difficult for the Golden Eagles to overcome suffering their first loss in Brookings, South Dakota, since 2010.
Inside the Box Score.
- Tori Roe tallied 20 digs and reached another milestone becoming the first ORU player since Bruna Silva in 2013 to record 500 total digs in a single season. The St. Louis, Missouri, native is one of only 20 players in the NCAA to reach the milestone in 2018.
- Bria Bergman evenly distributed the ball across the offense as five different players reached double-digit kills. The senior finished with another double-double behind 53 set assists and 14 digs.
- Inkret (16 kills, 12 digs) and Mikulic (13 kills, 11 digs) also registered double-doubles for ORU, while Madison completed her double-double with 12 kills.
- Morgan Blomquist tallied a new career high by putting down 14 kills on 30 swings.
- Bri Greenlee was a part of seven blocks helping ORU total 11 blocks and added 10 kills behind a team-leading .476 hitting percentage.
- The Golden Eagles dropped to 1-7 in five-set matches this season.
ORU returns home to close the regular season with a pair of crucial matches in The Summit League next weekend. The Golden Eagles host North Dakota State Friday at 5 p.m. for Senior Night to honor their three seniors at the Aerobics Center. Live video and stats will be available at www.ORUAthletics.com.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.