TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team's offense came alive by hitting above .300 for the first time this season in Summit League action during a straight-set victory over Western Illinois (25-18, 25-16, 25-19) Sunday afternoon at the Aerobics Center.
Setter Bria Bergman kept the Fighting Leathernecks off balance all match by evenly distributing the ball across the offense. Seven different players tallied at least one kill for the Golden Eagles, while three posted eight or more to secure the season sweep of WIU.
ORU could not be stopped in the opening set as it hit at a .424 clip, 16 kills on 33 attacks, to take a quick lead. CeCe Madison served out a 4-0 run to finish the frame aided by a pair of service aces. The Golden Eagles used a 6-1 start to set two and cruised to a wire-to-wire win for a commanding 2-0 advantage.
In a season plagued by third-set worries, ORU left no doubt Sunday as it scored four of the first five points in the third set, capped by an ace from Tori Roe. After WIU fought back to take a 13-12 lead, the Golden Eagles took control behind a 5-1 stretch and ended the match scoring the last three points.
Inside the Box Score
- Bergman finished with her team-leading 15th double-double of 2018 posting 29 set assists and 13 digs. The senior also finished with two kills and three total blocks, including a solo block.
- Madison was the only ORU player to reach double-digit kills in the sweep as she posted 10 kills on 18 swings for a .444 hitting percentage.
- Katarina Mikulic recorded nine kills and Taylan Nero put down eight on just 10 swings for an incredible .800 hitting percentage. Mikulic also had three block assists and Nero added a pair.
- Roe matched Bergman for the Golden Eagles' lead with 13 digs and added three set assists, while Inka Inkret registered 12 digs.
- ORU's serving excelled all afternoon on its way to a season-high nine service aces coming from six different players.
The Golden Eagles hit the road for the final time during the regular season heading to Denver for a clash with Summit League leading and unbeaten Pioneers Friday night before visiting South Dakota State Sunday afternoon.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.