Match One Score: Oral Roberts 2 – Northern Kentucky 3
Records: ORU (3-8) – NKU (8-3)
Match Two Score: Oral Roberts 2 – SIUE 3
Records: ORU (3-9) – SIUE (1-11)
Location: Vadalabene Center (Edwardsville, Ill.)
EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. – It took five sets to decide both matches for the Oral Roberts volleyball team Saturday falling to Northern Kentucky (25-19, 27-25, 21-25, 14-25, 13-15) and host SIUE (19-25, 25-22, 28-26, 19-25, 8-15) at the Vadalabene Center.
The Golden Eagles let a 2-0 set lead slip away in the first match of the day as the Norse rallied back to win the SIUE Cougar Classic and the host Cougars won the final two sets to pull off the victory.
ORU won the opening frame with NKU thanks to a .308 hitting percentage taking the first set off the Norse by any team of the weekend. An attack error by NKU ended a second-set win for the Golden Eagles after they fought off three set points to take a commanding lead.
The Norse battled back to win the next two sets and even the match before ORU jumped to a one-point edge in the fifth set, 13-12. NKU won the final three points of the contest and completed the rally.
The Golden Eagles fell to SIUE in the first set before bouncing back to claim the next two stanzas, including staving off three set points in the third to win, 28-26. The Cougars responded by evening the match winning set four and sent ORU into its third, five-set match of the tournament, where it was unable to pull off the victory.
ORU met both the Norse and Cougars for the first time in program history Saturday as senior Tori Roe earned a spot on the SIUE Cougar Classic All-Tournament Team posting 81 digs (5.4 per set) in the three matches.
Inside the Match One Box Score
- Katarina Mikulic swung 80 times in the match and finished with a career-best 20 kills. The junior added 12 digs for her fourth double-double in the last five matches.
- Bria Bergman earned another double-double recording a career-high 23 digs and had 46 set assists.
- Tori Roe matched her career high tallying 28 digs and had six set assists.
- Morgan Blomquist was the most efficient hitter for the Golden Eagles posting a .500 hitting percentage with eight kills on 14 swings.
- Lara Picht had another impressive display posting 14 kills and a .306 hitting percentage.
- Sarah Thiessen finished with 16 digs and Inka Inkret also reached double figures with 10 as the team totaled a season-high 104 digs.
Inside the Match Two Box Score
- Roe recorded her fifth-straight match with at least 20 digs as she controlled the defense behind 28 digs.
- Picht posted her second double-double of the year hitting a team-high 14 kills and had 16 digs.
- Bergman totaled 38 set assists, while adding 16 digs for another double-double. The senior also registered six kills for a .462 hitting percentage.
- Blomquist recorded ORU's only solo block and also put down a team-leading four block assists.
- ORU played its fourth five-set match in the last five outings slipping to 0-4 in those contests.
The Golden Eagles return to campus for their home opener as they begin Summit League play against four-time defending champion Denver at the Aerobics Center Friday (Sept. 21) at 7 p.m. Free, live video and stats will be available at www.ORUAthletics.com.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.