Score: Oral Roberts 3 – North Florida 1
Records: ORU (1-2) – UNF (0-3)
Location: UW Arena-Auditorium (Laramie, Wyo.)
LARAMIE, Wyo. – A huge net presence solidified the first win of the season for the Oral Roberts volleyball team, 3-1, over North Florida Saturday afternoon at UW Arena-Auditorium by scores of 25-18, 25-21, 26-28, 30-28.
Taylan Nero totaled a career-best nine block assists as the Golden Eagles posted 13 blocks for the contest, including match point in the fourth set as Morgan Blomquist and Inka Inkret combined for the clinching point.
Nero's blocks helped break a tie in the first set and gave ORU momentum in a decisive opening stanza win before another 4-0 run ensured a second set victory. The Golden Eagles had a match point in the third set before UNF responded to close the gap winning 28-26. ORU staved off three set points in the fourth to secure its first win of the campaign.
ORU got a double-double effort from junior CeCe Madison, who tallied a career-high 19 kills and added 20 digs, match highs in both categories.
Inside the Box Score
- Madison needed only 32 swings to reach 19 kills recording a .344 hitting percentage as the Golden Eagles hit at a .252 clip for the afternoon.
- Nero was a force at the net totaling a career-high nine blocks assists, including four-straight block assists during the opening set that broke an 11-11 deadlock.
- Blomquist was at her best in the final set as the sophomore posted five of her eight kills and a pair of block assists.
- Bria Bergman shattered her previous best by registering 51 set assists and finished an all-around day with eight digs, six kills, four block assists and one service ace. She also landed a spot on the All-Tournament Team for her performance during the opening weekend.
- Inkret also reached double-digit kills with 14, while tallying five digs and three block assists
- Tori Roe added 12 digs from her libero spot.
The Golden Eagles continue the 2018 season next weekend taking part in the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational hosted by Missouri State Aug. 31-Sept. 1. ORU faces the host Bears Friday night at 7 p.m. on ESPN+.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.