Match One Score: Oral Roberts 1 – No. 15 Colorado 3
Records: ORU (0-1) – CU (1-0)
Match Two Score: Oral Roberts 0 – Wyoming 3
Records: ORU (0-2) – WYO (2-0)
Location: UW Arena-Auditorium (Laramie, Wyo.)
LARAMIE, Wyo. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team dropped both matches on opening day of the 2018 campaign falling in the opener to No. 15 Colorado 3-1 (15-25, 25-14, 19-25, 18-25) before a three-set loss to host Wyoming (7-25, 15-25, 18-25) Friday at UW Arena-Auditorium.
The Golden Eagles surrendered the opening set to the nationally-ranked Buffaloes in the first match of the Rumble in the Rockies tournament, before bouncing back for a commanding 25-14 victory in the second set to even the contest.
ORU and CU tied the score 13 times reaching 15-15 in the third set before the Buffs closed the set on a 10-4 run. Colorado finished off the match in the fourth set with another late surge after a kill from Taylan Nero evened the set, 11-11.
ORU could not find its rhythm in the night cap as the host Cowgirls won in straight sets holding the Golden Eagles to a negative hitting percent for the match (-.037).
Inside the Match One Box Score
- CeCe Madison was a welcome sight back on the court and the junior picked up right where she left off a year ago totaling a match-high 15 kills.
- Katarina Mikulic finished one kill shy of her career best registering 11 against the nationally-ranked Buffaloes. The junior was aided by three kills on four swings during the second set as ORU out-hit CU by a .391 to -.065 margin in its only set win of the opening match.
- Tori Roe tallied five digs in the final set and closed the opening contest with a match-best 16 digs. Madison and Mikulic narrowly missed double-doubles reaching nine digs each.
- Redshirt freshman Sarah Thiessen and freshman Inka Inkret made their Golden Eagles debuts. Thiessen earned the starting nod and posted four digs and a service ace, while Inkret had a swing in the fourth set.
- CU's All-American from 2017, Alexa Smith, added 15 kills for the Buffs, despite being held to a negative hitting percentage through three sets.
Inside the Match Two Box Score
- Inkret led the Golden Eagles in kills during just her second collegiate match totaling five on 10 swings. Nero and Madison each added four kills.
- Bergman paced ORU with 17 set assists and dropped in three kills with four digs.
- Morgan Blomquist and Madison combined for a solo block and block assist each, while Nero recorded a pair of block assists.
ORU closes its opening weekend of competition Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. (CT) against the Ospreys of North Florida. The Golden Eagles and UNF meet for the first time in program history with live stats available at www.ORUAthletics.com.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.