Score: ORU 3 – Western Illinois 0
Records: ORU (9-9, 1-3 SL) – WIU (4-18, 1-5 SL)
Location: Aerobics Center (Tulsa, Okla.)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team used a balanced attack, getting six or more kills from five different players, to sweep visiting Western Illinois Friday night at the Aerobics Center winning 3-0 (25-23, 25-18, 25-12) for its first victory in The Summit League in 2016.
The Golden Eagles got double-digits kills from the nation's leading hitter Laura Milos (12), after missing the previous match, and Shelby Cox (10) to even their season record at 9-9 overall with an 0-3 mark in conference play. The Leathernecks fell to 4-18 overall and 1-4 in The Summit League as ORU pushed its all-time record against WIU to 34-5.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU limited the Leathernecks to just 12 points in the third set, tying the third-fewest points allowed in a single set in 2016.
- Freshman Taylan Nero took advantage of her most swings in a match this season recording a career-best nine kills on a team-leading .562 hitting percentage.
- Nero also set a season high recording two of the team's seven service aces.
- ORU's offense steadily picked up the efficiency throughout the night improving hitting percentages from .188 in the opening set to .250 and .417 in sets two and three, respectively.
- The Golden Eagles' defense held WIU to a .055 hitting percentage for the match, the third-lowest percentage of the season.
- Blocking proved a key in the victory as ORU combined for nine blocks led by one solo block from Cox and five block assists by Cox and Brianna Greenlee.
- Friday marked the team's sixth sweep in nine wins this season.
- Melanie Patenaude led WIU with eight kills, but ended the night with seven errors.
ORU continues a four-match homestand Sunday afternoon (Oct. 9) facing South Dakota State before hosting Denver (Oct. 11).
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row Appat ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.