Score: Oral Roberts 3 – Western Illinoi 2 (25-23, 18-25, 18-25, 25-16, 15-6)
Records: Oral Roberts (110-10, 5-3); Western Illinois (3-19, 1-6)
Location: Aerobics Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts University volleyball team was able to complete a comeback Sunday holding off Western Illinois, 3-2, in Summit League action.
The Golden Eagles needed an extra push in the final two sets and got it as they rallied past the Leathernecks, 25-23, 18-25, 18-25, 25-16, 15-6. ORU snapped a three match skid and are now 3-1 in five set matches this season.
Sophomore Laura Milos continued her impressive streak tallying 26 kills and posting a .346 hitting percentage. Milos has recorded 20 or more kills in three straight matches and also in eight of her last nine matches.
Errors troubled both teams early as ORU finished with 15 service errors and Western Illinois added 16 service errors. However, the Golden Eagles were able to clean up their offense in the final two sets which included a flawless fifth set and posted a .538 hitting percentage in the win.
Peyton Crosser led Western Illinois with 16 kills while Melanie Patenaude added 10 kills.
Oral Roberts: Laura Milos recorded 26 kills and a .346 hitting percentage to pace the ORU offense and earned another 11 digs to post her eighth double-double of the season.
Western Illinois: Peyton Crosser finished with 16 kills in the loss for Western Illinois.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- After a back and forth first set, Western Illinois controlled the second and third sets ending set two on an 8-3 run. WIU also started set three on an 8-1 run before ORU battled back to 9-7 despite the Leathernecks taking the lead in the match 2-1.
- ORU showed resilience taking a 12-5 lead in the fourth set and holding off a late WIU rally with a 20-10 lead the Leathernecks pulled within 22-15 before ORU closed out the match.
- The fifth set saw ORU dominate finishing without an error and posting a .538 hitting percentage. The Golden Eagles also jumped out to an 8-2 lead before scoring five straight points to win the match 15-6.
- Milos recorded her eighth double-double of the season with 26 kills and 11 digs.
- Milos also continued a streak of 20 or more kills in eight of the last nine matches including the last three.
- Rachel Provost finished with a season-high 14 digs for the Golden Eagles.
- Shelby Cox finished with four blocks for ORU giving her at least one block in her last 10 matches. She also has multiple blocks in seven of the last 10.
- ORU is now 3-1 in five set matches this season.
- The Golden Eagles have won 11 straight against Western Illinois and lead the all-time series 32-5.
The Golden Eagles continue their homestand as the second half of Summit League action begins Friday against South Dakota. First serve from the Aerobics Center is scheduled for 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU volleyball, follow @ORUAthletics on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.