Score: North Texas 3 – Oral Roberts 1 (25-20, 16-20, 25-23, 25-21)
Records: North Texas (7-6); Oral Roberts (5-7)
Score: Oral Roberts 3 – Houston Baptist 1 (21-25, 25-20, 25-22, 25-22)
Records: Oral Roberts (6-7); Houston Baptist (7-7)
Location: Reynolds Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts University volleyball team split a pair of matches at the Golden Hurricane Invitational Saturday falling to North Texas, 3-1, and rallying back to defeat Houston Baptist, 3-1, in the nightcap.
With the split ORU finished the non-conference tournament season one game shy of .500 at 6-7on the year. The Golden Eagles schedule ranks as the 55th toughest schedule in the nation and is the toughest among Summit League schools as conference action beings next weekend.
ORU put together a rally against North Texas before falling in Saturday's first match. A trio of Golden Eagles finished with double figure kills, led by Laura Milos who posted a double-double with 16 kills and 18 digs.
The nightcap saw the Golden Eagles snap a four match skid with a 3-1 win over Houston Baptist. Milos again led ORU with 29 kills and 15 digs while Lucija Bojanjac added 53 assists to pace the offense.
Oral Roberts: Laura Milos added 29 and 16 kills in two matches for ORU while posting a double-double in each with 15 and18 digs respectively.
Houston Baptist: Jessica Wooten finished with 15 kills while Kayla Armer added 37 kills and 11 digs.
North Texas: Carnae Dillard led the way for UNT with 19 kills and 10 digs. Amy Henard added 40 assists and 13 digs.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (North Texas)
- ORU rebounded with more than 50 kills in both matches after tallying just 37 Friday against Tulsa.
- Laura Milos posted a career-high 18 digs in the match while Tori Roe also finished with 18 digs.
- Shelby Cox was one of three Golden Eagles to finish with double figure kills adding 10 and a .292 hitting percentage.
- The loss to UNT was the second straight loss in the series while ORU holds a 16-5 advantage. It was also the first neutral site loss for ORU against UNT.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (Houston Baptist)
- ORU posted double figure blocks for just the second time this season with 11.
- Megan Doran finished with a career high eight blocks to help the Golden Eagles.
- Nika Mostahinic added a career-high six blocks in the match.
- Bojanjac recorded 53 assists – her second highest total of the season – and third time she had 50 or more assists.
- ORU improved to 3-1 all-time against Houston Baptist.
Oral Roberts beings Summit League play heading north to face North Dakota State Friday at 7 p.m. The Golden Eagles will close out the league opening road swing Saturday at South Dakota State with a 7 p.m. first serve.
For the latest information on ORU volleyball, follow @ORUAthletics on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.