Score: Oral Roberts 68 – Western Illinois 64
Records: ORU (18-12) (10-6); WIU (12-18) (8-8)
Location: Denny Sanford PREMIER Center – Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Lakota Beatty tied the overall Summit League Tournament record with seven three-point makes in a game as the ORU women's basketball team knocked off Western Illinois 68-64 Sunday afternoon.
After starting the game with a five point deficit, the Golden Eagles sparked a 10-0 run to take the lead and keep it throughout the first quarter. The Golden Eagles hit three key long-range buckets and led 15-11 at the end of the first. ORU's defense held Western Illinois to 24 percent shooting from the field in the opening period. The defense continued strong in the second quarter and held the Leathernecks to nine points and 12 percent shooting. Western Illinois shot 18 percent overall in the first half while ORU shot 33 percent and led 32-20 at the break.
ORU scored 20 points in the third quarter and Lakota Beatty led the way with eight points going 2-for-4 from long range. Western Illinois cut the deficit to 10 at the end of the third and scored 22 points. The Leathernecks shot 47 percent from the field in the third. Western Illinois out-scored the Golden Eagles 22-16 in the fourth quarter and shot 53 percent from the field. With 1:17 to play, the Leathernecks cut the deficit to three. With defensive stops and free throws down the stretch by Katie Kirkhart and Rylie Torrey, the Golden Eagles extended the lead back to four and forced two Leatherneck turnovers to seal the game.
Beatty led the Golden Eagles with 25 points on the day. She tied the Summit League Tournament record for three-point makes in a game with seven. With 16 three-point attempts, Beatty is now second all-time in the Summit League Tournament record book. Kirkhart, Lippe and Regan Schumacher each finished the day with nine points. Overall, the Golden Eagles shot 40 percent from the field and 38 percent from long range.
Four Leathernecks scored in double-figures. Olivia Kaufmann led Western Illinois with 16 points and eight boards on the day. All-Summit League Second Team member, Taylor Higginbotham, went 5-for-15 overall on the day for 15 points. Annabel Graettinger and Kyra Washington each finished with 11 points. Western Illinois shot 33 percent overall from the field and 22 percent from three-point range.
Oral Roberts: Beatty scored 25 points on the day. She and Schumacher each had nine rebounds.
Western Illinois: Kaufmann finished the game with 16 points and eight rebounds for Western Illinois.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 40 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded WIU 50-35. The Golden Eagles had 14 offensive boards for 10 second chance points.
- The Golden Eagles had a 37.9 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 22 times, but forced the Leathernecks to turn the ball over 13 times.
- ORU shot 52.9 percent from the free-throw line (9-for-17).
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded nine points and grabbed five rebounds along with three assists and one steal.
- Katie Kirkhart scored nine points and had five rebounds with three assists, one block and one steal.
- Lakota Beatty tallied 25 points going 9-for-19 from the field with nine rebounds and two assists.
- ORU had 17 bench points in today's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 13 points off of turnovers and 22 points in the paint.
- Today's win over Western Illinois marks the third win this season over the Leathernecks for the first time since the 2010-11 season.
The Golden Eagles advance to the Summit League Championship semifinal round Monday, March 11 and will face South Dakota State at 12 p.m. inside Denny Sanford PREMIER Center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.