Score: Oral Roberts 65 – Omaha 64
Records: ORU (17-12) (10-6); Omaha (8-20) (2-13)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Lakota Beatty hit a go ahead bucket with two seconds to play for the Oral Roberts women's basketball team to win 65-64 over Omaha Thursday at the Mabee Center on senior night.
A fast start by Omaha led the Mavericks to a 24-15 advantage after the first 10 minutes of play. The Golden Eagles slow start defensively allowed Omaha to shoot 62 percent from the field in the first. ORU turned it on offensively and out-scored the Mavericks in the second quarter, 19-5. The Golden Eagles shot 54 percent in the second quarter and held Omaha to just 18 percent from the field to lead at halftime 34-29. Maya Mayberry led ORU in the first 20 minutes with 16 points and went 6-for-8. Keni Jo Lippe also had 15 points of her own and went 2-for-3 from long range.
The Mavericks came out in the second half and out-scored ORU 24-18. Although the Golden Eagles had a slow start, the team shot 43 percent overall. The Golden Eagles trailed by as much as three with 2:29 to play in the fourth. Jordan Gilbert cut the deficit to one with 1:16 to go. Gilbert then grabbed her second steal of the game with seven seconds to play. Following an ORU timeout, Beatty hit the go ahead bucket with four seconds left. ORU made the stop defensively when Gilbert took a charge with one second to go. The Golden Eagles shot 46 percent in the fourth quarter and out-scored Omaha 13-11.
Mayberry led the Golden Eagles with 23 points in the game going 8-for-12 from the field and 3-for-5 from long range. Lippe finished the night with 17 points of her own and shot 6-for-9 on the night. Beatty had eight points, with her final two points being the most crucial. She finished 3-for-13 overall and 2-for-8 from beyond the arc.
Omaha had three score in double figures and was led by Elena Pilakouta who finished the night with a double-double scoring 18 points and grabbing 11 rebounds. Josie Filer had 13 points and Mariah Murdie scored 11. The Mavericks shot 46 percent overall from the field.
Oral Roberts: Mayberry scored 23 points and Beatty had eight rebounds.
Omaha: Pilakouta finished the night with 18 points and 11 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 45.5 percent overall in tonight's game.
- Omaha out-rebounded ORU 37-25. The Golden Eagles had five offensive boards for five second chance points.
- The Golden Eagles had a 36.4 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over seven times, but forced the Mavericks to turn the ball over 17 times.
- ORU shot 77.8 percent from the free-throw line (7-for-9).
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded 17 points and grabbed five rebounds.
- Maya Mayberry scored 23 points with two assists and one steal.
- Lakota Beatty tallied eight points with eight rebounds with two assists.
- ORU had 19 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 14 points off of turnovers and 26 points in the paint.
ORU will compete in the 2019 Summit League Championship as either the No. 3 or No. 4 seed at the Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, March 9-12. The Golden Eagles finish the regular season with at least a share of third place.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.