Score: Oral Roberts 92 – Western Illinois 85
Records: ORU (16-12) (9-6); WIU (12-15) (8-6)
Location: Western Hall – Macomb, Ill.
MACOMB, Ill. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team set a program record scoring 20 three-point baskets in Saturday's 92-85 win at Western Illinois to move up to third place in the current Summit League standings.
Sarah Garvie recorded a career high 23 points in the first half of play in Saturday's game. Garvie went 7-for-10 from behind the arc in the first 20 minutes. She went 5-for-6 in the second quarter alone and connected on two technical free throws. The Golden Eagles trailed at the end of the first quarter, 26-25, after a 15-3 Leatherneck run, but took over the second quarter, 30-26, and led at halftime, 55-52. Both ORU and Western Illinois shot over 50 percent overall from the field. Lakota Beatty went a cool 5-for-10 from beyond the arc for 15 first half points.
ORU went up by as much as eight points in the third until Western Illinois went on a 10-2 run in a 4:30 span. ORU did regain a one point lead at the end of the third after being out-scored 17-15. After being down by one with 8:56 to play, Maya Mayberry hit a jumper to regain the lead for ORU and the Golden Eagles never looked back. With 1:10 to play, WIU's Annabel Graettinger hit a three to tie the game, 85-85. Jordan Gilbert drove the ball the next possession and scored on a foul and picked up the and-one to go up by three with 39 seconds to play. Down the stretch, Katie Kirkhart and Keni Jo Lippe hit two free throws each to seal the 92-85 victory to sweep the Leathernecks during the regular season for the first time since 2014-15.
The Golden Eagles set a program record with 20 three-point makes in the game. Beatty went 7-for-14 from three and 8-for-18 overall for 23 points. Garvie shot 8-for-15 from long range for a career high 26 points. Keni Jo Lippe hit 3-for-5 and deep and Maya Mayberry went 2-for-3 to break the previous record set at 18. Overall, the Golden Eagles shot 20-for-37 from three-point range. ORU shot 48 percent overall in the game.
Western Illinois had four players score in double figures on senior night. Graettinger led the Leathernecks with 16 points. Taylor Higginbotham and Danni Nichols each had 15 and Olivia Kaufmann scored 13. WIU shot 43 percent overall in the game and 32 percent from three-point range. The Leathernecks went 21-for-23 from the free throw line and ORU went 12-for-13.
Oral Roberts: Garvie scored a career high 26 points. Beatty and Lippe each had seven rebounds.
Western Illinois: Graettinger recorded 16 points. Higginbotham and Nichols each had eight boards.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 47.6 percent overall in tonight's game.
- WIU out-rebounded ORU 36-34. The Golden Eagles had 10 offensive boards for 15 second chance points.
- The Golden Eagles had a 54.1 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 17 times, but forced the Leathernecks to turn the ball over 17 times.
- ORU shot 92.3 percent from the free-throw line (12-for-13).
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded 14 points and grabbed seven rebounds with six assists and one steal.
- Maya Mayberry scored 10 points with three assists and one steal.
- Lakota Beatty tallied 23 points with seven rebounds, five assists and two steals.
- Sarah Garvie had a career high 26 points in the game. Garvie recorded two rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- ORU had 36 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 24 points off of turnovers and 16 points in the paint.
The Golden Eagles will play their final regular season home game Thursday, February 28 against the Omaha Mavericks at 5 p.m. for senior night inside the Mabee Center. The ORU men will then follow with a game at 7:30 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.