Score: Oral Roberts 64 – South Dakota 75
Records: ORU (13-12) (6-6); USD (22-3) (10-1)
Location: Sanford Coyote Sports Center – Vermillion, S.D.
VERMILLION, S.D. – After leading for 34 minutes in Saturday's game the Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell to the league leading South Dakota Coyotes, 75-64, in Vermillion, South Dakota.
A hot start for ORU in the opening 10 minutes gave the Golden Eagles a 22-12 lead at the end of the first. The Golden Eagles went on a 14-0 run that was extended to 16-3 over a span of four minutes. ORU shot 50 percent overall and the defense held the Coyotes to 1-for-11 overall to start and then 3-for-17 in the first quarter. South Dakota shot 67 percent in the second quarter and out-scored ORU 21-18, but the Golden Eagles took a 40-33 lead in to the break. Hot shooting allowed ORU to go 10-for-16 from the three-point line in the first half.
ORU started the second half hot, scoring the first five points. South Dakota started clawing its way back, but only out-scored the Golden Eagles 15-14 in the third period. The Coyotes tied the game with 2:31 to play at 62 all. After exchanging buckets, South Dakota went up five with 1:08 left. Free throws down the stretch extended South Dakota's lead as the Coyotes shot 70 percent overall and went 10-for-13 from the free-throw line in the fourth quarter.
The Golden Eagles led for 34:27 in the game and took their largest lead by 15 in the first quarter. ORU shot 36 percent from the field and 45 percent from long range in the game. Maya Mayberry led the Golden Eagles with 21 points going 5-for-10 from beyond the arc. Keni Jo Lippe had 14 points on the day with eight rebounds. Lippe also shot 50 percent from three-point range.
Ciara Duffy led the Coyotes with 18 points and nine rebounds. Chloe Lamb had 17 points and went 3-for-3 from three-point range in the first half. Madison McKeever had 14 points of her own as the Coyotes shot 44 percent overall from the field and 32 percent from beyond the arc. South Dakota went 20-for-23 from the free throw line.
Oral Roberts: Mayberry had 21 points while Lippe had eight rebounds.
South Dakota: Duffy led South Dakota with 18 points and Allison Arens had 10 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 35.6 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded South Dakota 36-34. The Golden Eagles had 12 offensive boards for 12 second chance points.
- The Golden Eagles had a 44.8 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 12 times, but forced the Coyotes to turn the ball over nine times.
- ORU shot 81.8 percent from the free-throw line (7-for-9).
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded 14 points and grabbed eight rebounds with one assist.
- Maya Mayberry scored 21 points and went 5-for-18 overall and 6-for-8 from the free throw line. Mayberry had two assists and one steal.
- ORU had 14 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with nine points off of turnovers and 16 points in the paint.
ORU continues its trek north with a midweek matchup at North Dakota State Wednesday, February 13 at 7 p.m. inside the Scheels Center in Fargo, North Dakota.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.