Score: Oral Roberts 81 – Texas State 64
Records: ORU (3-3) (0-0); TXST (2-3) (0-0)
Location: Strahan Arena – San Marcos, Texas
SAN MARCOS, Texas – Rylie Torrey excelled with a career high 23 points as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team defeated Texas State 81-64 Saturday afternoon in San Marcos, Texas.
A close start to the game, that gave Texas State a 19-16 advantage, after the first quarter was eventually taken over by the Golden Eagles with a 12-2 run in the second period that gave ORU a 10-point lead with under three minutes to play. The Golden Eagles were red hot from the three-point line all game long going 7-for-15 in the first half of play and 13-for-27 overall. ORU shot 62 percent from the field for 28 points in the second quarter of play for their highest quarter percentage.
Rylie Torrey led the way with 22 points on the day for a career high and went 6-for-9 from the three-point line and 6-for-11 overall. She co-led the squad with five rebounds. As a whole, ORU shot a season high 55 percent from the field, 48 percent from long-range and 90 percent from the charity stripe.
The Golden Eagles took their largest lead of the game by 22 points with 31 seconds remaining in the third quarter. ORU shot 53 percent in the third for 26 points and held the Bobcats to 12 points for the 10 minute period. Jayla Johnson led Texas State with her fifth consecutive double-digit game. Johnson went 7-for-16 overall and 2-for-6 from the three-point line for 23 points. She was also perfect from the free throw line. Zandra Emanuel and Jayla Johnson both recorded seven rebounds for the Bobcats.
Maya Mayberry contributed to the game scoring 18 points, shooting 50 percent overall. Lakota Beatty led the team with four assists and co-led with five rebounds. Jordan Gilbert and Keni Jo Lippe each had seven points on the day. Overall the Golden Eagles only trailed in the game for a total of 4:25, but were out-scored in the first and fourth quarters.
Oral Roberts: Rylie Torrey led the team with 22 points. Lakota Beatty and Rylie Torrey each had five rebounds.
Texas State: Jayla Johnson scored 23 points and had seven rebounds. Zandra Emanuel also had seven boards.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 54.7 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Texas State 33-27. The Golden Eagles had seven offensive boards.
- The Golden Eagles had a 48.1 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 10 times, but forced the Bobcats to turn the ball over seven times.
- ORU shot 90.9 percent from the free-throw line.
- Rylie Torrey had a career high 22 points with five rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored seven points and recorded three rebounds.
- Lakota Beatty went 4-for-8 overall and scored 10 points with five rebounds and four assists.
- Jordan Gilbert scored seven points with three boards.
- Maya Mayberry tallied 10 points with four rebounds.
- ORU had 21 bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with five points off of turnovers and 16 points in the paint.
The Golden Eagles have a midweek contest with the Arkansas Razorbacks Wednesday, November 28 at 7 p.m. inside Bud Walton Arena in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.