Score: Oral Roberts 77 – No. 13 Iowa 90
Records: ORU (1-1) (0-0); No. 13 Iowa (1-0) (0-0)
Location: Carver-Hawkeye Arena – Iowa City, Iowa
IOWA CITY, Iowa – Lakota Beatty scored a career high 26 points in the Oral Roberts women's basketball team's, 90-77, loss at No. 13 Iowa Friday evening at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa.
It was a slow start to start Friday's game at No. 13 Iowa for the Golden Eagles. ORU shot 16 percent from the overall in the first quarter and only scored nine points compared to Iowa's 27. The Hawkeyes came out shooting 62 percent in the opening 10 minutes. The Golden Eagles went in to the halftime break trailing the Hawkeyes 49-23 after shooting 28 percent from the field in the second quarter of play.
After halftime, ORU came out and stormed the remaining 20 minutes of play out-scoring the No. 13 Hawkeyes 24-19 in the third and 30-22 in the fourth for a combined 54-41 showing in the second half. The Golden Eagles did not commit a turnover in the final two quarters and only committed six for the game. The defense forced 15 Iowa turnovers. ORU shot 53 percent overall in the second half.
ORU forced 25 turnovers in the game. The Golden Eagles cut Iowa's lead down to 11 with just under a minute to go after trailing by as much as 28 in the game. ORU had seven steals in the game compared to Iowa's four.
Lakota Beatty, Keni Jo Lippe and Maya Mayberry each scored in double-digits. Beatty tallied a career high 26 points, Lippe had 12 and Mayberry scored 16 points. Regan Schumacher led the team with seven rebounds. Reigning Big 10 Conference player of the year, Megan Gustafson, led No. 13 Iowa with 23 points and 17 rebounds for her first double-double of the season. Altogether, the Hawkeyes had four double-digit scorers.
Oral Roberts: Lakota Beatty led the team with 26 points, for a career high. Regan Schumacher recorded seven rebounds.
Iowa: Megan Gustafson scored 23 points and grabbed 17 rebounds for her first double-double of the season.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 36.2 percent overall in tonight's game.
- Iowa out-rebounded ORU 49-29.
- The Golden Eagles had a 42.1 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over six times, but forced the Hawkeyes to turn the ball over 15 times.
- ORU shot 69 percent from the free-throw line.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored 12 points and recorded four rebounds.
- Lakota Beatty went 7-for-13 from three-point range and scored 26 points for a career high with one rebound and two assists.
- Rylie Torrey had eight points with six assists.
- Montserrat Brotons recorded six points with five rebounds.
- Maya Mayberry tallied 16 points with two assists and two steal
- ORU had 21 bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 12 points off of turnovers and 16 points in the paint.
The Golden Eagles head to Lawrence, Kansas, Tuesday, November 13 at 7 p.m. to take on Big 12 Conference opponent Kansas Jayhawks inside Allen Fieldhouse
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.