Score: Oral Roberts 70 – South Dakota State 77
Records: Oral Roberts (11-7) (3-2); South Dakota State (14-4) (4-0)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Oklahoma
TULSA, Okla. – Three Golden Eagles scored in double digits, and Faith Ihim recorded a career high 24 points as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell short to the South Dakota State Jackrabbits, 77-70, Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Center.
The Golden Eagles and the Jackrabbits started the game in a heated back and forth battle before the first media timeout. The teams were tied 6-6 after the first six minutes of play. South Dakota State took a 16-12 lead to end the first quarter and shot 37.5 percent from the field. ORU shot 35.7 percent in the first. Faith Ihim led the way with four points.
ORU went on a 7-0 run to take the lead by seven points early in the second. South Dakota State then went on a 10-0 run to take a three point lead with two minutes left. Maya Mayberry broke the run and tied the game at 28 all when she capitalized on the and-one opportunity. ORU had the lead in the closing seconds of the first half until Macy Miller hit a floater from the left side at the buzzer to give South Dakota State a 34-33 at halftime. ORU shot 46 percent in the first half, while the Jackrabbits shot 45 percent. Faith Ihim led the Golden Eagles with 10 points.
The Golden Eagles responded with a 7-0 run to begin the third quarter to regain the lead. South Dakota State took a 57-55 lead to end the third after Macy Miller hit another buzzer beater. Faith Ihim scored 10 of her 24 points in the third quarter.
The Jackrabbits took a nine point lead in the fourth and kept the lead through the remainder of the game. ORU pulled to within four with just under four minutes to play. South Dakota State took another nine point lead and ORU brought it back to within five, but the Jackrabbits hit free-throws down the stretch to win 77-70. South Dakota State out-scored ORU 20-15 in the fourth.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 43.8 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU was out-rebounded by South Dakota State 39-34.
- The Golden Eagles had a 33.3 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over nine times, but forced the Jackrabbits to turn the ball over 10 times.
- ORU shot 56.3 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 24 points and grabbed seven rebounds along with three steals.
- Maria Martianez had 15 points and eight rebounds. She also had two assists.
- Maya Mayberry recorded 16 points. She also had two rebounds, three assists, one block and two steals.
- Jordan Gilbert tallied six points and six rebounds. Gilbert also had four assists in the game.
- Sarah Garvie scored two points along with one rebound.
- Rachel Skalnik recorded one rebound and one steal.
- Montserrat Brotons made one assist and one block.
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded seven points and two rebounds.
- Regan Schumacher competed in six minutes in today's game.
- ORU had 26 points in the paint and seven bench points in the game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 11 points off turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will continue their run of home games when the South Dakota Coyotes visit the Mabee Center Wednesday, January 17 at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.