Score: Oral Roberts 74 – No. 12 Oklahoma 67
Records: Oral Roberts (4-4); No. 12 Oklahoma (5-2)
Location: Lloyd Noble Center – Norman, Okla.
NORMAN, Okla. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team stunned No. 12 Oklahoma 74-67 Sunday afternoon inside the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman, Okla.
ORU won the opening tip and Maria Martianez scored the first bucket of the game for the Golden Eagles. ORU came out of the gate shooting well. The team shot 47 percent in the first quarter and held the Sooners to a shooting percentage of 37 percent. Maria Martianez led the way for the Golden Eagles with six points and three rebounds. No. 12 Oklahoma led ORU at the end of the first quarter 19-16. ORU scored 10 points in the paint.
Oklahoma jumped out to an 11-0 run in the second quarter. Lakota Beatty hit a three-point jumper to bring the team within eight, but the Sooners led at the half 42-31. In the first half the Golden Eagles shot 40 percent from the field with 14 points in the paint. ORU also saw success with 14 bench points in the first half.
The Sooners extended their lead to 17 in the third quarter, but the Golden Eagles didn't give up. ORU went on a 17-3 run and ended the third quarter down by three points. The Golden Eagles out-scored Oklahoma 19-11 in the third and went 7-18 from the field.
Oklahoma took their lead back to 11 in the fourth quarter, but the Golden Eagles would not be denied. ORU cut the lead back to three when Faith Ihim capitalized on the and-one opportunity with 2:51 remaining in the game. Maria Martianez hit a 10- foot jump shot to bring the Golden Eagles to within one point. ORU took the lead with two minutes remaining in the game and closed the game out on a 7-2 run. From the 6:35 mark in the fourth quarter, the Golden Eagles out-scored Oklahoma 20-2. ORU won by a final score of 74-67.
The Golden Eagles wiped away two huge deficits in today's game. In the third quarter, ORU trailed by as much as 17 points and the team rallied to within three by the end of the quarter. In the fourth, ORU erased an 11 point deficit and held the Sooners to two points in the final six minutes.
Oklahoma: Peyton Little scored 12 points for the Sooners and McKenna Treece had 11 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 43.1 percent overall in today's game.
- The victory was the first win over a ranked opponent since 1986 and the first win over Oklahoma since 1983.
- ORU out-rebounded Oklahoma 45-38 in tonight's contest.
- ORU turned the ball over 18 times, but forced the Sooners to turn the ball over 19 times.
- Kaylan Mayberry had 12 points on the day along with three rebounds, four assists, one block and two steals.
- Faith Ihim scored nine points and 10 rebounds.
- Freshman Montserrat Brotons went 3-3 from the field in tonight's game. Brotons is 100 percent from the field in the past four games.
- Maria Martianez scored 18 points along with 13 rebounds in the game for her first double-double of the season.
- Lakota Beatty had 20 points with one assist, two steals and four rebounds in the game.
- Ashley Beatty scored six points along with four rebounds, three assists and one steal in the game.
- ORU had 30 points in the paint and 27 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 17 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will head home for a three game home stand that begins on Wednesday, December 7 against Missouri State. The game will be at 7 p.m. inside the Mabee Center. The Bears currently hold a 2-5 record for the season.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.