ELMHURST, Ill. – Oral Roberts' Mercy Abire earned Women's Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award, while South Dakota's Chris Nilsen was named The Summit League Men's Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week for their performances Jan. 17-23.
MERCY ABIRE, ORAL ROBERTS
Fr. // Lagos, Nigeria
- Received her first career Summit League Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week accolade
- Placed first in the long jump with a personal-best distance of 20' 0.25" (6.10m) at the Air Force Invitational in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Ranks 20th in NCAA Division I and second in The Summit League in the long jump
- Finished third in the 60m (7.68) after setting a personal-best (7.63) in the prelims
Also nominated: Katelyn Murphy, IUPUI; Morgan Milbrath, North Dakota State; Danielle Waldner, South Dakota; Carly Carper, South Dakota State; Alyssa Johnson, Western Illinois
CHRIS NILSEN, SOUTH DAKOTA
Fr. // Kansas City, Mo.
- Earned his second Summit League Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award of the season
- Cleared The Summit League Indoor Championship pole vault record with a first place height of 18' 1" (5.51m) at the Jim Emmerich Invitational in Brookings, S.D.
- One-of-six NCAA Division I athletes to clear 18' in the pole vault this season
- Tied for third in NCAA Division I and first in The Summit League in the pole vault
Also nominated: Connor Sorrells, IUPUI; Landon Jochim, North Dakota State; Israel Nelson, Oral Roberts; Bryant Courter, South Dakota State; Brad Walls, Western Illinois
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.
For the latest information on ORU Track and Field, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook and Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.