ELMHURST, Ill. – Oral Roberts' Israel Nelson was named Summit League Men's Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week while Omega Reese earned Women's Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award for their performances during the week of Jan. 3-9.
ISRAEL NELSON, ORAL ROBERTS
So. // Port St. Lucia, Fla.
- Earned his second Summit League Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award of the season
- Finished first in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 7.90 at the Bill Easton Classic in Lawrence, Kan.
- Ranks seventh in NCAA Division I in the 60-meter hurdles
- He is one of just 14 Division I student-athletes to post a 60-meter hurdles time under eight seconds
Also nominated: Dakota Dubbs, IUPUI
OMEGA REESE, ORAL ROBERTS
Jr. // Tonkowa, Okla.
- Garnered her first career Summit League Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week honor
- Placed third in the 800-meter with a time of 2:20.23 (converted to 2:18.64) at the Bill Easton Classic in Lawrence, Kan.
- Her converted 800-meter time is tied for third-best in The Summit League this season
Also nominated: Emma Rafuse, Fort Wayne; Allie Wright,IUPUI
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.
For the latest information on ORU Track and Field, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook and Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.