Event: Summit League Indoor Track and Field Championships
Host: North Dakota State
Location: Shelly Ellig Indoor Track & Field Facility
FARGO, N.D. – Sophomore pole vaulter Justin Estala won Oral Roberts University's first track and field championship of 2015 during day one of the Summit League Indoor Track and Field Championships in Fargo, North Dakota.
Day two of the event will kickoff Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m. with men's heptathlon events. Field events will restart at noon, and track events will begin at 1 p.m.
News and Notes
- Justin Estala became the ORU's fifth pole vault champion in the past six indoor seasons as he cleared a height of 5.25 (17-3.00). It was Estala's second win of the season. Former ORU All-American Jack Whitt won the event four-straight years between 2010-13.
- Joseph Reis-Herron ran a 6.88 second 60-meter dash time to qualify for the finals in the event, and Raphael Chihambakwe qualified with a time of 6.98 seconds.
- Chihambakwe also moved on to the finals in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.26 seconds. Joining him in finals are Reinhard Ndlovu, who ran 22.24 in the prelims, and D'Khari Hicks who crossed the finish line with a time of 22.19 seconds.
- In the 400-meter dash, Sonwabiso Skhosana recorded the best time in the prelims with a time of 49.10 seconds to move on to Saturday's finals. Ndlovu and Hicks also qualified in the 400-meter dash with times of 49.90 and 49.25 seconds, respectively.
- John Bradford rounded out the men's qualifiers after day one as he ran 1:55.16 to win his heat in the 800-meter run.
- Kaleb Presley earned five team points with a long jump mark of 7.02m (23-0.5) to take fourth place.
- Tamaira Williams and Kirsten Burnett each had two races to qualify for the finals in the women's 60-meter dash. Williams earned the top time in both the prelims and the semifinals with marks of 7.62 seconds and 7.54 seconds, while Burnett finished with a time of 7.87 in both races to move on to the final eight.
- Williams also qualified for the finals in the 200-meter dash, crossing the fiish line at the 25.06 mark.
- Madison Reynolds advanced to the finals in both the 200-meter and 400-meter dashes. Reynolds ran a 23.65 in the 200-meter, and earned the top time in the 400-meter event with a time of 55.68 seconds.
- Omega Reese advanced to day two in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:12.84.
The 2015 Summit League Indoor Track and Field Championships wrap up Saturday in Fargo, North Dakota.