Event: Kansas Relays
Host: University of Kansas
Location: Lawrence, Kan.
LAWRENCE, Kan. – After the threat of inclement weather over the weekend forced a change in the schedule, the Oral Roberts track and field teams finished up competition at the KU Relays near midnight Friday night.
Despite the change in plans, ORU competed well in Lawrence, led by Samatha Watson's victory in the 3,000m steeplechase and a number of season best marks.
Women's Top 10 Finishers
- Tamaira Williams ran 11.97 in the 100m dash to finish eighth overall.
- Madison Reynolds finished second overall in the 400m dash, running 53.88, just behind A'Keyla Mitchell of Kansas State.
- Omega Reese's success in the 800m run continued as she notched a seventh place finish in the event in a season-best time of 2:12.16.
- Samantha Watson won the 3,000m steeplechase at the KU Relays for the second time in her career, running 10:59.47 for the five second victory. It was Watson's fastest time of the season.
- Cameron Hilliard, Reynolds, Kirsten Burnett and Williams combined to run 46.36 in the 4x100m relay, the third fastest time behind Purdue and Colorado State.
- ORU also finished in the top five in the 4x400m relay, with Asher Roberts, Williams, Reese and Reynolds finishing in 3:46.32 to take fourth in the fastest time this year.
- Chenoa Simpson finished ninth in the javelin throw with a toss of 37.15m (121-10).
Men's Top 10 Finishers
- Omeiza Akerele was fifth in the men's 400m dash, running 48.15.
- John Bradford took sixth in the 800m run with a time of 1:52.57. It was Bradford's fastest time this year and just 0.15 off his lifetime best.
- Ryan Masey's season best time of 32:07.49 put him ninth in the 10,000m run.
- Israel Nelson snuck in the top 10 in the 100m hurdles with a time of 14.63.
- Justin Estala, Omeiza Akerele, Raphael Chihambakwe and Joseph Reis-Herron combined to run 41.28 in the 4x100m relay to finish eighth. It was ORU's fastest relay time of the season.
- In the 4x400m relay, Bradford, D'Khari Hicks, Blayne Hisquierdo and Akerele combined to run 3:18.11 to finish ninth.
- Justin Estala finished in a tie for seventh overall, but was tied for the second best collegiate mark in the pole vault at 4.95m (16-2.75). The top five marks were all from unattached pole vaulters, including former Golden Eagle and NCAA Champion Jack Whitt, who won the event.
ORU will return to the track for the Bill Williams/Bob Laptad Invitational in Joplin, Missouri, April 24-25.