Score: Oral Roberts 2 - Western Illinois 0
Records: ORU (6-7-2, 2-2-1), UCA (8-5-3, 3-1-1)
Location: John MacKenzie Alumni Field - Macomb, Ill.
MACOMB, Ill. - Two first half goals was all the Oral Roberts University men's soccer team needed Saturday as the Golden Eagles handed Western Illinois its first Summit League loss of the season with a 2-0 shutout.
ORU moved its league record to .500 as the Golden Eagles improved to 2-2-1 in Summit League play and 6-7-2 overall, while WIU dropped to 8-5-3 and 3-1-1. The Leathernecks entered the match ranked fourth in NSCAA West Region poll.
The Golden Eagles netted their first goal of the match in the 35th minute as Tarik Salkicic crossed the ball into the box that was deflected by Jacob Bjornsen into the net to give the Golden Eagles a 1-0 lead.
In the 43rd minute, Edgardo Mira scored his second goal of the season to give the Golden Eagles a 2-0 lead heading into the break. Zari Prescod was credited with an assist.
WIU allowed an own goal in the 35th minute as a cross by Tarik Salkicic was deflected and slipped past the Leatherneck keeper.
Inside the Box Score
- The Golden Eagles maintained possession much of the match, outshooting the Leathernecks, 12-9.
- Edgardo Mira had two shots on target and a goal to lead ORU.
- Tarik Salkicic, Johnny Chavez and Alex White each took a shot on goal.
- Ben LaCourse (6-7-2) recorded four saves in the shutout, his third shutout of the season.
- Erick Bloom led the Leathernecks with three shots, two of which were on goal.
- Yves Dietreck (8-5-3) took the loss, recording three saves.
News and Notes
- The victory was ORU's first win in Macomb, Illinois, since the 2010 season.
- ORU has won consecutive regular season matches over WIU.
ORU will host Central Arkansas Tuesday for Senior Night. Kickoff for the Golden Eagles final non-league match of the season is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Case Soccer Complex.
|Box Score, ORU at Western Illinois 11-1-14|