Score: Oral Roberts 0 - Missouri State 2
Records: ORU (4-4-2), MSU (6-3-2)
Location: Betty and Bobby Allison South Stadium - Springfield, Mo.
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - The Oral Roberts University men's soccer team fell short of extending its unbeaten streak to three matches on Tuesday as the Golden Eagles were blanked by Missouri State 2-0 in Springfield, Missouri.
ORU dropped to 4-4-2 on the season, while Missouri State improved to 6-3-2. The two teams split the regular season series, 1-1.
MSU scored its first goal in the 38th minute on Tuesday as Emmerich Hoegg blasted a shot with his left foot to give the Bears a 1-0 lead. The goal was the Bear's first goal in 344 minute of action against ORU dating back to the 2012 season.
In the 64th minute, Mikey Lightbourne extended the Bear lead to 2-0, receiving a through-ball from James Thomas on a counter attacked and beating Golden Eagle keeper Ben LaCourse one-on-one.
Emmerich Hoegg gave the Bears their first lead since the second match of the 2012 season in the 38th minute.
Inside the Box Score
- Zari Prescod recorded the only ORU shot on target in the match. Tarik Salkicic and Jordan Cuckler each took one shot.
- Ben LaCourse (4-4-2) got the start in goal for ORU, recording two saves.
- Emmerich Hoegg had a goal and took two of MSU's eight shots to lead the attack.
- Mikey Lightbourne had a goal, and James Thomas and Brandon Besong each had a shot on goal.
- Addison Watson (5-3-1) had a save for MSU in 71 minutes between the posts and was replaced by Liam Priestly for the final 19 minutes.
News and Notes
- ORU sophomore forward Matthew Rogers was named the Summit League Player of the Week by College Sports Madness on Tuesday morning.
- The win by MSU snapped an ORU three-match unbeaten streak against the Bears.
- MSU leads the all-time series against ORU, 13-5-3.
ORU returns to action as Saturday as the Golden Eagles make the trek to northern Indiana for a Summit League showdown at IPFW. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. CST.
|Box Score, ORU at MSU 10-7-14|