Score: Incarnate Word 2 - Oral Roberts 3
Records: UIW (1-6-0), ORU (4-3-1)
Location: Case Soccer Complex - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - For the second time this season, the Oral Roberts University men's soccer team got a late goal as the Golden Eagles slipped past Incarnate Word 3-2 at the Case Soccer Complex on Tuesday. ORU defeated UIW 2-1 in the 85th minute back on September 7.
The Golden Eagles moved back above .500 improving to 4-3-1 on the season, while the Cardinals fell to 1-6-0.
UIW got on the board quickly in the eighth minute when Alex De La Garza sent the ball into the middle of the box and Dylan Kelly finished the play to put the Cardinals up 1-0.
Matthew Rogers tied the game at one in the 22nd minute on a corner kick, scoring a goal from 10 yards out into the right side of the net. Gerardo Salas was credited with the assist.
Just five minutes later, Kelly took a shot that was deflected by Golden Eagle goalkeeper Ben LaCourse, but Noah Keats was there to clean up the play to regain the lead for the Cardinals, 2-1.
With the final minute of the first half running off the clock, Salas scored the equalizer from 10 yards out as Arturo Rodriquez sent in a through ball to set up the goal.
After a back and forth second half, the Golden Eagles finally broke the tie in the 89th minute. Following a Cardinal foul, Rodriguez sent a free kick into the left side of the box. Alex White got a head on the ball, sending it back across the box to Rogers who finished with a header, his third goal of the season.
ORU took its first lead of the match in the 89th minute on a free kick when Arturo Rodriguez sent the ball into the box and Matthew Rogers scored on a header for his second goal of the night.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU recorded nine shots on goal in the match.
- Matthew Rogers led the Golden Eagles with five shots, three on target, and two goals.
- Gerardo Salas scored his second goal of the season and added an assist.
- Arturo Rodriquez was credited with his first two assists of the season.
- Ben LaCourse (4-3-1) earned the victory in goal for ORU, pulling in eight saves.
- Dylan Kelly scored a goal on four shots on goal and earned an assist to lead the Cardinals.
- Kieran O'Boyle (1-5-0) recorded six saves in the loss.
News and Notes
- With an assist on Tuesday, Alex White has earned four assists on the season, second-most in the Summit League.
- Nine shots on goal are the most by the Golden Eagles since September 29, 2013, against IPFW.
ORU returns to league play on Saturday as the Golden Eagles are set to host Omaha at the Case Soccer Complex. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.
|Box Score, ORU vs. UIW, 9-30|