Score: Oral Roberts 0 - Denver 4
Records: ORU (3-3-1, 0-1-0), Denver (6-3-0, 1-0-0)
Location: Cider Field - Denver, Colo.
DENVER, Colo. - The Oral Roberts University men's soccer team kicked off the Summit League schedule on Saturday as the Golden Eagles fell victim to a 4-0 shutout at the hands of Denver in Denver, Colorado.
Brian Hoyt scored two goals for the Pioneers in the match. He started the scoring in the 24th minute, collecting a pass from Sam Hamilton to give the Pioneers a 1-0 lead.
In the 53rd minute, Reid Hukari broke loose from the ORU defense and placed the ball just inside the right post to extend the DU lead to 2-0.
Hoyt struck again in the 64th minute as Alex Underwood sent the ball into the box and Hoyt slid in to convert the goal.
The Pioneers had their first crack at a fourth goal in the 70th minute as they were awarded a penalty kick. However, Ben LaCourse made a diving save to his right to stop the Jordan Schweitzer attempt.
In the 82nd minute, Cole Stevenson sent the ball along the end line from the left side to Karsten Hanlin, who finished the play from 10 yards out to make it a 4-0 match.
Brian Hoyt scored the first of two goals in the 24th minute to give Denver a 1-0 lead.
Inside the Box Score
- Matthew Rogers had the lone shot on goal for ORU in the 28th minute of the match.
- Brothers Casey and Corey Cantor each provided one shot for the Golden Eagles.
- Ben LaCourse (3-3-1) pulled in four saves, including a save on a penalty kick.
- Brian Hoyt and Reid Hukari each had two shots on goal to lead the Pioneers.
- DU outshot ORU 16-3 in the match.
- Oliver Brown recorded a save to improve his record to 5-1-0.
News and Notes
- ORU has not won in six all-time meetings against Denver.
ORU will look to get back on track on Tuesday as the Golden Eagles host Incarnate Word. Kickoff at the Case Soccer Complex is scheduled for 6 p.m.
|Box Score, ORU at Denver, 9-27-14|