Score: Oral Roberts 1 - Tulsa 4
Records: ORU (2-1-1), Tulsa (3-2-1)
Location: Hurricane Track and Soccer Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - The Oral Roberts University men's soccer team ran into a strong attack on Tuesday as the Golden Eagles fell to Tulsa 4-1 at the Hurricane Track and Soccer Stadium.
ORU suffered its first defeat of the season as the Golden Eagles moved to 2-1-1, while Tulsa improved to 3-2-1 on the year.
The Golden Hurricane took a 1-0 lead in the ninth minute of the match as Austin Neil finished off an Akeil Barrett header from 12 yards out. Byron Knowles-Ramirez and Barrett were credited with assists on the goal.
In the 31st minute, Tulsa extended its lead to 2-0 on a converted penalty kick by Barrett.
Ten minutes into the second stanza, the Golden Hurricane added to its lead on a goal by Abe Matamoros from just inside the six-yard box, extending the lead to 3-0. Tulsa added its fourth goal of the contest in the 70th minute as Ray Saari had a touch past ORU goalkeeper Ben LaCourse to make it 4-0.
Five minutes later, Matthew Rogers got the Golden Eagles on the board with a blast from 30 yards out past Tulsa keeper Jake McGuire to cut the lead to 4-1. It was Rogers' first goal of the season.
Byron Knowles-Ramirez sent a pass into the penalty area in the 9th minute, setting up the first goal of the game as Akeil Barrett got a head on the ball and Austin Neil finished off the play.
Inside the Box Score
- Matthew Rogers goal was the lone shot on goal for the Golden Eagles in the match. Johnny Chavez and Tarik Salkicic each recorded one shot.
- Ben LaCourse recorded seven saves in goal for ORU, as his season record dropped to 2-1-1.
- Austin Neil, Aymar Sigue, Abe Matamoros and Cameron Drackett each recorded two shots on goal to lead the Golden Hurricane.
- Tulsa starting goalkeeper Jake McGuire improved to 3-2-1 on the season.
News and Notes
- Brian Booker and Kaspars Kokis made their first appearances of the season against Tulsa.
- The match marked the first time since 2008 the two cross-town rivals to faced off.
- Tulsa leads the all-time series against ORU in men's soccer, 17-2.
ORU returns to action on Friday as the Golden Eagles travel to take on SMU in Dallas, Texas. Kickoff against the Mustangs is scheduled for 5 p.m.
|Box Score, ORU at Tulsa, 9-16-14|