Score: Oral Roberts 2 - Incarnate Word 1
Records: ORU (2-0-1), UIW (0-3-0)
Location: Benson Stadium, San Antonio, Texas
SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Two second half goals were the difference for the Oral Roberts University men's soccer team on Sunday as the Golden Eagles topped Incarnate Word 2-1 in San Antonio, Texas.
ORU improved to 2-0-1 on the season, its best three-match start to a season since 2004, while UIW dropped to 0-3-0.
The Cardinals took an early 1-0 lead in the 12th minute as Noah Keats missed a couple of opportunities, but Ben Conway was in the right place for the cleanup goal.
It didn't take long for the Golden Eagles to strike in the second half. In the 48th minute, Casey Cantor sent the ball into the box, setting up the tying goal off the foot of Gerardo Salas, his first of the season.
As the match began to wind down, ORU delivered the final blow in the 86th minute. Following a cross by Johnny Chavez, the ball was deflected by the UIW keeper and cleaned up by Juan Diego Padilla for the game-winner. The goal was for first by Padilla this season.
A little more than two minutes into the second half, Gerardo Salas tied the match at 1-1 as he netted a loose ball in the box following a cross by Casey Cantor.
Inside the Box Score
- Alex White added a shot on goal to go along with Salas' and Padilla's goals in the match.
- The Golden Eagles were outshot by the Cardinals, 19-7.
- Ben LaCourse improved his record to 2-0-1, pulling in five saves in the victory.
- Noah Keats led the Cardinals with three shots on target.
- Kieran O'Broyle fell to 0-3-0 on the season in goal for the Cardinals.
News and Notes
- With the victory, ORU has its best three-match start since the 2004 season.
- It was the first victory against Incarnate Word, moving the all-time series mark to 1-1-1.
- The match was the first time in program history ORU has taken the pitch in San Antonio, Texas.
ORU will have more than a week off before returning to the pitch as the Golden Eagles face cross-town rival Tulsa on September 16 at the Hurricane Soccer and Track Stadium. It will be the first meeting between the two programs in six seasons.
|Box Score, ORU at UIW 9-7-14|