Score: Oral Roberts 1 - Houston Baptist 1
Records: ORU (1-0-1), HBU (0-0-2)
Location: Sorrels Field - Houston, Texas
HOUSTON, Texas - For the second time in as many matches, Johnny Chavez scored a goal on a header as the Oral Roberts University men's soccer team finished in a 1-1 draw at Houston Baptist on Friday.
ORU moved its record to 1-0-1 on the season, while HBU has recorded two draws in as many matches to start the year. The draw marks the first time ORU has started the season unbeaten in its first two matches since the 2010 season.
HBU took the first lead of the match in the 27th minute as preseason WAC Offensive Player of the Year Tobenna Uzo converted a header off a corner kick from Patrick Toh to give the Huskies a 1-0 lead.
However, Chavez tied the game at one in the 52nd minute with a header of his own, his second goal of the season. Alex White was credited with his second assist of the year, and Edgardo Mira was credited with the helper as well.
With ORU down 1-0, Johnny Chavez took a cross inside the box and put the ball away to tie the match in the 52nd minute.
Inside the Box Score
- Ben LaCourse (1-0-1) earned a career high nine saves in 110 minutes of action.
- Six different Golden Eagles had shots on target, including Johnny Chavez, Matt Rogers, Gerardo Salas, Alex White Tarik Salkicic and Isaac Fraley
- Tobenna Uzo, Patrick Toh, Thilo Borgmann and Ricky-Paul Mupier each had two shots on goal for HBU.
- HBU starting goalkeeper Kevin Suarez went the distance, recording six saves.
News and Notes
- Mitchell Day and Corey Cantor each recorded their first collegiate starts.
- The match marked the first time ORU has gone unbeaten through its first two matches since 2010.
- ORU snapped a five-match losing streak to HBU with the draw.
The Golden Eagles play the second game of a four-game road trip on Sunday afternoon as they head to San Antonio, Texas, to face Incarnate Word. Kickoff against the Cardinals is scheduled for 1 p.m.
|Box Score, ORU at HBU 9-5-14|