ELMHURST, Ill. – Oral Roberts' Cody Burrows and Omaha's Ben Maskus were named Summit League Men's Golfer of the Week, while IUPUI's Aneta Abrahamova collected the women's award for their performances March 16-22.
CODY BURROWS, ORAL ROBERTS
Fr. // Chickasha, Okla.
- Collected his second Golfer of the Week award of the season
- Earned his first collegiate individual title and first top-five finish at the Bob Sitton Invitational
- Drained a 30-foot putt on the 54th hole to clinch the championships
- Carded 73-71-70 – 214 (71.3 average) to give ORU its first tournament champion since 2010
BEN MASKUS, OMAHA
Jr. // Shawnee Mission, Kan.
- Named Men's Golfer of the Week for the first time in his career and becomes Omaha's first-ever honoree
- Shot 70-75-68 – 213 at the Desert Shootout, marking the lowest 54-hole score in UNO's Division I era
- He recorded six birdies against just two bogeys in his final round 68 to finish in a tie for 36th
- The career-low round led the Mavs to their best 18-hole team score (287) in school history
Also nominated: Jacob Groninger, Fort Wayne; Rylan Porter, IUPUI; Cody Seal, South Dakota; Andrew Blackburn, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Sept. – Grant Smith, SDSU; Oct. – Andrew Blackburn, WIU; Feb. 17 – Grant Smith, SDSU; Feb. 25 – Cody Burrows, ORU; March 2 – Blake Brorman, ORU; March 9 – Felipe Strobach, SDSU; March 16 – Jackson Wetherbee, Western Illinois
ANETA ABRAHAMOVA, IUPUI
So. // Bratislava, Slovakia
- Earned her first career Golfer of the Week honor
- Collected her second career tournament win with a single-round 75 at the Wooster Hilton Head Invitational
- Added a fourth-place finish at the Butler Spring Invitational (74-79 – 153)
- The pair of top-10 finishes are her second and third of the season
Also nominated: Mariell Bruun, Denver; Allie Leingang, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Sept. – Katharina Baratta, DU/Brenna Lervick, USD; Oct. – Megan Mingo, SDSU; Feb. 17 – Katharina Baratta, DU; Feb. 25 – Katharina Baratta, DU; March 2 – Jessica Dreesbeimdieke, DU; March 9 – Megan Mingo, SDSU; March 16 – Hallie Getz, South Dakota State
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
In its fourth decade of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 75 Academic All-Americans, 65 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. In 2014-15, The Summit League ranked first for NCAA Graduation Success Rate in women's basketball and second in baseball. For more information about the league and to "See The Summit", visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.
For the latest information on ORU golf, follow @ORUAthletics on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.