Score: Oral Roberts 78 – Denver 65
Record: ORU (9-17, 5-6) – DU (7-17, 2-8)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team took a 16-point lead into halftime and never looked back as the Golden Eagles topped Denver 78-65, Thursday night at the Mabee Center.
Kevin Obanor led the way for ORU with 28 points, 12 rebounds and was 10-12 from the free throw line. Sam Kearns and Kaelen Malone each scored 11 points, while Malone led ORU with four assists. DeShang Weaver had three of ORU's five blocks.
Joe Rosga finished with a team-high 15 points and seven rebounds for Denver, while also recording two of the Pioneers' five steals.
ORU shot 51 percent from the field for the game, the first time over 50 percent since shooting 62 percent against North Dakota in the second league game of the year.
Quote of the Game
"I'm proud of the guys and their ability to bounce back. I thought we were focused tonight. We didn't have any drop off when we went to our bench. Those guys did a good job of maintaining the intensity. There are always areas you can clean up but I'm really proud because I thought it was a complete team effort." - ORU Coach Paul Mills
ORU put together a pair of 9-0 runs to end the half, and out-scored Denver 23-6 over a nearly nine minute stretch to go up by 19 points with 19:36 to play in the game.
Oral Roberts: Obanor scored 28 points and grabbed 12 rebounds to lead ORU in both categories. Malone had four assists and Weaver had three blocks and tied with Carlos Jürgens with two steals each.
Denver: Rosga did it all for Denver, scoring 15 points, grabbing seven rebounds and recording two steals.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 51 percent (24-47) from the field, 45 percent (13-29) from 3-point range and 85 percent (17-20) from the free throw line.
- Denver connected on 39 percent (23-58) from the field, 47 percent (9-19) from 3-point range and 77 percent (10-13) from the free throw line.
- ORU out-rebounded Denver 32-31, but the Pioneers got 11 offensive rebounds and led ORU 14-11 in second chance points.
- ORU had 14 turnovers to Denver's 13, but the Golden Eagles out-scored the Pioneers 16-11 off turnovers.
- Denver held a 26-16 advantage in the paint.
News and Notes
- The Golden Eagles connected on a season-high 13 3-pointers in the game, shooting 45 percent (13-29) from long range.
- Obanor recorded his third, and the team's 11th, double-double of the season with 28 points and 12 rebounds, leading all players in both categories.
- ORU moved to 9-2 this season when leading at halftime, and 8-0 when leading with three minutes to play.
- The Golden Eagles are now 6-1 this season when making more free throws than their opponents.
- Denver out-rebounded ORU by six in the first meet, the only Summit League team to out-rebound the Golden Eagles so far, but it was ORU who won the rebounding battle 32-31 on Thursday.
- Thursday's win snapped a four-game losing streak overall and a six-game losing streak to Denver.
With five games left in the regular season, ORU heads out on the road for four straight before finishing the regular season at home. The Golden Eagles start the road trip Sunday afternoon at South Dakota.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).