TULSA, Okla. – After a week off, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team will return to the court Sunday as the Golden Eagles travel to SMU for an afternoon showdown.
Sunday's game will tip off at 2 p.m. from Moody Coliseum, and will be broadcast on ESPN 3 and Watch ESPN. Adam Hildebrandt's radio call of the game can be heard on The Franchise at 107.9 FM and 1270 AM, and online at TheFranchiseOk.com.
Scouting the Opponent
• SMU is 5-3 but has won its last three games, including a 91-59 win over McNeese Thursday night.
• The Mustangs have three players averaging more than 10 points per game, and three players averaging 6.6 or more rebounds per game. Jahmal McMurray leads the offense at 19.0 points per game, while Ethan Chargois is grabbing a team-best 6.9 rebounds per game to go with his 14.6 points per game.
• ORU is 2-6 all-time against SMU, but the Golden Eagles got the best of the most recent meeting, winning 62-56 at the Mabee Center in 2011 as part of the Dick's Sporting Goods NIT Tip-Off.
• Kevin Obanor has been impressive in his rookie season with the Golden Eagles, scoring in double figures in five of the six games in which he has played. Obanor earned his first double-double of the season with 14 points and 13 rebounds in ORU's overtime win over James Madison.
• Emmanuel Nzekwesi earned All-Tournament Team honors at the Men Against Breast Cancer Oakland Hoops Challenge after posting back-to-back double-doubles to finish the tournament, including 22 points and 12 rebounds in ORU's win over James Madison.
• ORU has three players (Nzekwesi, Obanor, Malone) averaging double figures in scoring this season.
• Kaelen Malone has now scored in double figures in seven of the last eight games, including a stretch of seven straight games. He had a season-high 13 points against Oakland after scoring 12 points in each of the previous four games.
• ORU basketball was featured on ESPN's SportsCenter Top 10 twice after Tuesday's basketball action, both for half-court shots. Former ORU player and current ORU women's basketball assistant coach Kyron Stokes drained a half-court shot backwards to earn the No. 10 spot, while CBU's buzzer-beater against the Golden Eagles was the top play.
• Junior Emmanuel Nzekwesi returns after leading ORU in scoring at 12.7 points per game last year and was second on the squad, and the top returner, at 7.2 rebounds per contest.
• ORU was picked to finish sixth in The Summit League, just behind North Dakota State and ahead of league newcomer North Dakota.
• Nzekwesi was a preseason All-Summit League Second Team selection after earning honorable mention honors last year.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).