Score: Northern Illinois 87 – Oral Roberts 66
Record: NIU (3-1) – ORU (2-5)
Location: Rochester, Mich. (Athletics Center O'rena
ROCHESTER, Mich. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team fell 87-66 to Northern Illinois, Friday afternoon at the O'rena, as the teams competed in the 2018 Men Against Breast Cancer Oakland Hoops Challenge.
Kevin Obanor led the Golden Eagles with 16 points and seven rebounds, while DeShang Weaver followed up his career high 23 point effort with 14 points on Friday for his second straight double-digit scoring effort. Kaelen Malone continued to be consistent, scoring 12 points for the fourth game in a row. Obanor also led the Golden Eagles with seven rebounds, while Sam Kearns had seven assist and no turnovers.
Eugene German scored 30 points on an 11-21 shooting effort, while Levi Bradley added 21 points and eight rebounds for the Huskies.
The Golden Eagles were in a 10-1 hole three minutes in but clawed back to take their first lead of the game 14-12 on a Weaver 3-pointer, but the Huskies used a 14-0 run to get the lead back to double digits.
Oral Roberts: Obanor had 16 points on a 6-7 shooting effort, while grabbing a team best seven rebounds. Kearns dished out seven of ORU's 17 assists, doing so without a turnover.
Northern Illinois: German (30) and Bradley (21) led the NIU attack, while Bradley grabbed a team high eight rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 48 percent (24-50) from the field and 37 percent (9-24) from 3-point range, while connecting on 64 percent (9-14) from the free throw line.
- NIU shot 49 percent (33-67) from the field, 43 percent (10-23) from 3-point range and hit 73 percent (11-15) from the free throw line.
- The Huskies held a 37-26 rebounding advantage in the game.
- ORU had 19 turnovers which led to 32 points for NIU, while the Golden Eagles converted 11 NIU turnovers into 10 points.
- ORU's bench out-scored the NIU bench 43-18.
News and Notes
- Obanor scored a career high 16 points on a 6-7 shooting effort. He is now a combined 11-12 from the field in the last two games. Obanor also matched his season best with seven rebounds, matching his total from ORU's game against California Baptist.
- Kearns had a season high seven assists, doing so with no turnovers.
- Nine of the 11 players who saw action scored at least three points and 10 of the 11 played at least 10 minutes.
- ORU had its fewest rebounds of the season with 26. The previous low was 33 at TCU.
- The 19 turnovers by the Golden Eagles were the second most of the season behind the 21 in the opening game of the year.
The Golden Eagles will play host Oakland Saturday at 1:30 p.m. (CT) before finishing the tournament against James Madison Sunday at 11 a.m. (CT).
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).