Score: Oral Roberts 109 – Ecclesia 72
Record: ORU (2-4) – EC (0-8)*
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
* - Monday's game counted as an exhibition for Ecclesia
TULSA, Okla. – Led by a pair of freshmen, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team pulled away from Ecclesia 109-72, Monday night at the Mabee Center. The contest was part of the Men Against Breast Cancer Oakland Hoops Challenge.
DeShang Weaver dropped 23 points, while Francis Lācis grabbed 17 rebounds and had four steals for the Golden Eagles. Senior Kaelen Malone had five assists. The Golden Eagles had six players score in double figures and all 12 players had at least one rebound.
Vice Toftness had 18 points while Cash Krueger had four rebounds to lead Ecclesia.
Quote of the Game
"I thought the difference tonight was DeShang and Francis. Francis obviously with 17 rebounds, and I thought D.J. brought a lot of energy. His care factor is through the roof and he is very vocal about how much passion he has for the game. He did a great job and I thought really turned it for us. The game will always reward energy and people who want to approach it the right way and those two did that tonight." – Head Coach Paul Mills.
ORU scored 13 straight points, and extended it to a 23-2 spurt to break the game open in the first half.
Oral Roberts: Weaver scored 23 points to lead all scorers as the game's only 20-point scorer. Lācis led the way with 17 rebounds, including five offensive boards, and Malone dished out a game-high five assists.
Ecclesia: Vince Toftness scored 18 points to lead the Royals offensively.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 58 percent (40-68) from the field, including perfect nights from Kevin Obanor (5-5), Emmanuel Nzekwesi (4-4), Kerwin Smith (2-2) and Emir Ahmedic (2-2).
- The Golden Eagles shot 37 percent (10-27) from 3-point range and 61 percent (19-31) from the free throw line.
- Ecclesia shot 38 percent (24-63) from the field, 29 percent (9-31) from 3-point range and 55 percent (15-27) from the free throw line.
- ORU dominated the glass with a 55-25 rebounding advantage and out-scored Ecclesia 30-8 in second chance points and 56-24 in the paint.
News and Notes
- ORU topped the century mark for the first time since scoring 105 points against Nebraska Christian January 27, 2018. The 109 points were the most since dropping 112 against Tabor November 25, 2015.
- Lācis' 17 rebounds were the most by a Golden Eagle since Javan White grabbed 20 boards at Little Rock last season. He also recorded four steals, the most by a Golden Eagle this season.
- Weaver set a new ORU career best in a big way, not only earning his first double digit game in the first half, but recording his first 20-point effort as well. Weaver set or matched his season high in points (23), field goals (six), 3-pointers made (four), free throws (seven), rebounds (six) and assists (two).
- Weaver's 23 points are the second most by a Golden Eagle, trailing only Nzekwesi's 24 points against Southwestern.
- For the third game in a row, Malone scored 12 points, matching his season high. In his last three games he has combined for 15 assists and three turnovers.
- Chaz Schneider scored the first points of his ORU career with a bucket and three free throws for five total points.
- ORU set season highs in points (109), field goals (40), free throws made (19), rebounds (55), assists (17) and steals (nine), and matched its season high in 3-pointers made (10).
- For the first time since the first game of his ORU career, Sam Kearns did not connect from 3-point range, taking just two shots in his 12 minutes of action. Kearns had made a 3-pointer in each of the last 36 games.
ORU will play three games in three days to finish the week as they head to Rochester, Michigan for the remainder of the Men Against Breast Cancer Oakland Hoops Challenge. ORU faces Northern Illinois Friday at 11 a.m. (CT), Oakland at 1:30 p.m. (CT) Saturday and James Madison Sunday at 11 a.m. (CT).
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).