Score: Oakland 92 – ORU 64
Records: OU (7-1) – ORU (1-6)
Location: Rochester, Mich. (Athletics Center O'rena)
ROCHESTER, Mich. – Oakland hit eight 3-pointers in the second half alone and 11 in the game to top the Oral Roberts men's basketball team 92-64 Thursday night at the Athletics Center O'rena.
ORU got a career high 23 points from Albert Owens who was nearly unstoppable underneath, and Jalen Bradley matched his career best with seven assists, doing so for the second game in a row. Bradley added five rebounds and 13 points as the only double figure scorer besides Owens. Emmanuel Nzekwesi grabbed a team-high nine rebounds in just 20 minutes of action after getting in foul trouble.
Oakland got 27 points from Sherron Dorsey-Walker, 18 points from Jalen Hayes and 10 points from Stevie Clark to go along with his nine assists.
Quote of the Game
"I thought the difference was turnovers; live ball turnovers that led to layups and dunks on the other end. It was 22-20 and they turned up the heat and we didn't handle it. They are good in transition. That was one of our biggest keys and we didn't do it. This is a long season though. We have to stay together, keep working and I truly believe that something good can come out of this season." – Head Coach Scott Sutton.
Owens and Young put together back-to-back buckets and ORU looked poised to make a run, but instead it was the Golden Grizzlies who ended the first half on a 7-0 run to take a 19-point lead into the break.
Oral Roberts: Owens shot 10-21 from the field and led ORU in scoring with 23 while Nzekwesi grabbed nine rebounds, including five offensive boards.
Oakland: The Golden Grizzlies were led by Dorsey-Walker and Hayes offensively. A trio of Oakland players grabbed six rebounds and Clark had nine of the team's 21 assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 43 percent (27-63) for the game and 39 percent (5-13) from the field.
- The Golden Eagles got to the free throw line a season low seven times, making five of them.
- ORU turned the ball over 20 times, leading to a 30-7 advantage in points off turnovers for Oakland.
- OU shot 51 percent (32-63) from the field and 42 percent (11-26) from 3-point range, including 8-18 in the second half.
News and Notes
- Dezmond McDaniel set career highs in points (6), 3-pointers (2), rebounds (2) and matched his career best with two assists.
- ORU's five free throws made was a low for the season.
- Kris Martin, who was hampered by foul trouble, got a season best two steals in just 12 minutes.
- Owens has now led ORU in scoring in each of the last three games, and reached the 20-point mark for the third time this season.
The Golden Eagles will remain up north to face Michigan State on Saturday in a contest that will be televised on the Big Ten Network at 3:30 p.m. (CT).
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.