Score: Oklahoma 96 – Oral Roberts 73
Records: OU (7-0) – ORU (8-3)
Location: Lloyd Noble Center – Norman, Okla.
NORMAN, Okla. – A five point game at the break, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team could not stay with the hot 3-point shooting of seventh ranked Oklahoma Saturday afternoon at the Lloyd Noble Center.
Obi Emegano nearly posted his third 30-point game of the season, dropping 29 points. Brandon Conley earned his second double-double of the year with 10 points and a game-high 11 rebounds. Kris Martin added a career best 15 points, while DaQuan Jeffries got three steals, tied for the second most by a Golden Eagle this season.
OU was led by Buddy Hield, who scored 30 points.Jordan Woodard added 19 points while Ryan Spangler had 13 points, including hitting his first three 3-point attempts of the game, and a team-high eight rebounds.
The Sooners held a slight 36-35 rebounding advantage, but it was ORU with 13 offensive rebounds who out-scored OU in the paint, 28-26.
The Golden Eagles were still hanging around in the second half until a 10-0 OU run made it a 17-point game at 65-48.
Quote of the Game
"I told our guys to keep their heads up. We got beat by a great basketball team that when they shoot the ball like they did today, they aren't going to get beat. Our defense wasn't great, we had some breakdowns, but it wasn't terrible. I don't think we played poorly, I think we did some good things but just got beat by a better team." – Head Coach Scott Sutton
Oral Roberts: Emegano scored 29 points while Conley grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds.
Oklahoma: Hield led all scorers with 30 points while Spangler led the Sooner's rebounding efforts with eight boards.
Inside the Box Score
- Facing their largest deficit of the first half at 11, the Golden Eagles put together an 11-0 run to knot the game on an Emegano jumper with 4:06 to play in the half.
- ORU shot the ball well from the field in the first half, connecting on 16-30 shots (53.3 percent). The Golden Eagles finished the game 28-64 (43.8 peprent) fromt eh field, but just 7-21 (33.3 percent) from 3-point range.
- OU shot 33-66 (50 percent) for the game, and 16-27 (59 percent) from 3-point range, tying an ORU opponent record of 16 made 3-pointers, set by Louisville in 1993.
News and Notes
- With 29 points against OU, Emegano has now scored at least 20 in nine of the team's 11 games this season.
- Martin set a new career high with 15 points, topping his previous high of 14 set against Tabor.
- Conley grabbed at least 10 rebounds for the fifth time in his career, but entering this season had never had a double-double. Saturday's 10-point, 11-rebound effort was his second double-double of the season.
- ORU is now 3-20 all-time against AP top-10 teams.
- The 30 points by Hield was the first 30-point performance given up by the Golden Eagles since Lawrence Alexander scored 31 at North Dakota State last season.
The Golden Eagles will have a rematch with Missouri State on Wednesday in Springfield, Missouri. ORU topped the Bears 80-65 in Tulsa to start the regular season.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.