Score: Oral Roberts 70 – UT Martin 66
Records: ORU (2-1) – UTM (0-3)
Location: JMU Convocation Center / Harrisonburg, Va.
HARRISONBURG, Va. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team jumped out to a hot start and led the majority of the game Friday afternoon against UT Martin as the Golden Eagles topped the Skyhawks 70-66 in the opening game of the Men Against Breast Cancer Classic.
The ORU trio of Obi Emegano (28 pts), Brandon Conley (14 points, eight rebounds) and Albert Owens (13 points, six rebounds) led the Golden Eagles in the win. Aaron Anderson added four assists and a season-best seven rebounds.
UT Martin was led by Alex Anderson who had 25 points, six of which came in the final five seconds of the contest.
ORU went on a 14-0 run to take a 17-3 lead early in the game and did not trail the rest of the way.
Quote of the Game
"We made it more difficult on ourselves than it should have been. I thought we came out and played great the first 10 minutes and built a big lead and then we just went ice cold. We missed shot after shot. We had good looks from three, we got the ball inside and couldn't get them to fall. It was a good win. These games are hard to play because there's no energy from the crowd." – Head Coach Scott Sutton.
Oral Roberts: Emegano followed up his 31-point performance with 28 on Friday, including an 11-12 mark from the free throw line. Conley had eight rebounds and Anderson led the way with four assists.
UT Martin: Anderson led the way with his 25 points, while Twymond Howard scored 19 and grabbed a team-high seven rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU opened the game on fire (10-20 FG) and opened up a 26-10 lead but went 2-10 from the field to finish the first half.
- ORU led for 38:45 and trailed for less than a minute in the game.
- The Golden Eagles finished the game 23-54 (42.6 percent) from the field, 7-21 (33 percent) from 3-point range and 17-22 (77 percent) from the free throw line.
- UT Martin was 23-57 (40 percent) from the field, 7-24 (29 percent) from 3-point range and 13-16 (81 percent) from the free throw line.
- Behind the inside game of Conley and Owens, ORU out-scored UTM 28-24 in the paint and had a 9-4 edge in second-chance points.
News and Notes
- Emegano matched his season high with three 3-pointers in the first half, extending ORU's streak of games with a made 3-pointer to 93 straight. Emegano went on to set a new career high with five 3-pointers made in the game.
- Conley blocked a shot in the first half and now has 78 in his career, 10 away from ninth in program history.
- ORU went on a 14-0 run in the first half, the longest run of the season and the most consecutive points scored since scoring 16 straight against Tabor January 27 of last year.
- After grabbing just one rebound in each of the first two games, Anderson was a force on the glass Friday grabbing a season-best seven rebounds.
- Until a miss on his final attempt against UT Martin, Emegano made 22 straight free throws going back to the end of the first game of the season.
- ORU out-rebounded UT Martin 39-29, the first time in three games this season in which ORU has out-rebounded its opponent.
ORU will be back in action Saturday evening as the Golden Eagles face the host James Madison at 5 p.m (ET).
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.