Score: ORU 94 - Tabor 53
Records: ORU (11-10) - Tabor (11-10)
Location: Mabee Center - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - Oral Roberts jumped out to an early lead and cruised past Tabor 94-53 Tuesday night at the Mabee Center.
All 11 active players on the ORU roster saw at least 10 minutes of action and registered at least one field goal. ORU was led by Obi Emegano's 22 points in 22 minutes as Emegano went 10-14 from the floor. Korey Billbury added 14 points, eight rebounds and a team-high four steals. Dederick Lee hit two of his first three shots of the game en route to six points but had six assists and no turnovers.
Tabor put 15 players on the floor and was led by Malik Brook's 12 points. Jonathan Gibson had five rebounds to lead the Bluejays, who were out-rebounded 50-34 for the game.
Quote of the Game
"I thought we got out of the game what we needed to. It wasn't so much about Tabor tonight as it was about us playing the right way and playing with effort and enthusiasm and I think the guys did that tonight. They came out and had fun. We didn't play great by any means but we played with the emotion that we needed to play with." Coach Scott Sutton
ORU opened the game on a 16-0 run, holding Tabor scoreless for the first 6:26 of the contest. The lead never dipped below 10 for the remainder of the game.
Oral Roberts: Obi Emegano led a cast of four double-digit scorers with 22 points. Korey Billbury added 14, while Denell Henderson and Albert Owens each chipped in 10. Owens and Billbury tied for team-high honors with eight rebounds and Dederick Lee grabbed six rebounds.
Tabor: Malik Brooks had 12 points and Jonathan Gibson grabbed five rebounds to lead the Bluejays.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 48.6 percent for the game (36-74) while Tabor connected on 35 percent (20-57) of its shots.
- With a 50-34 rebounding advantage, ORU held a 17-6 edge in second-chance points and dominated the paint to a tune of 48-22.
- ORU also dominated the fast-break points 20-2 and turned 24 Tabor turnovers into 31 points. ORU turned the ball over 10 times but those only led to four Bluejay points.
- For the third game in a row ORU struggled from the free throw line hitting just 13-24 (54 percent). It is the third game in a row below 60 percent after finishing above that mark in in each of the previous 18 games.
News & Notes
- ORU will finish the regular season with a 7-6 record in non-conference play.
- The Golden Eagles used their 11th different starting lineup this season with Young, Billbury, Emegano, Harris and Henderson earning the starting nod.
- ORU opened the game with a 16-0 run and did not allow a point until the 13:34 mark in the first half.
- The 16 straight points scored by ORU is the second longest run of the season. The only time ORU scored more points consecutively was a 19-0 run against Missouri State December 15.
- Dederick Lee, who entered the game 1-13 from 3-point range on the season, hit two of his first three attempts on Tuesday and scored a career high six points in the first eight minutes of the game.
- All 11 players on the active roster saw extended time in the game with all 11 scoring at least two points.
- The 41-point margin of victory is the second-highest of the season (52 vs. Haskell).
ORU will return to Summit League play with three straight road games, beginning Saturday at South Dakota. Tip off from Vermillion, S.D., is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.