Score: ORU 77 - Detroit 73 (OT)
Records: ORU 6-7 - Detroit 6-8
Location: Calihan Hall - Detroit, Mich.
DETROIT, Mich. - Oral Roberts led for more than 41 minutes in the game but needed overtime to get past Detroit in men's basketball action Tuesday night at Calihan Hall.
ORU (6-7) used a career high effort of 31 points from Obi Emegano to get its first road victory over the season. ORU got to the free throw line 40 times and hit a season best 82 percent. Korey Billbury added 22 points, including a 12-13 effort from the charity stripe, while Bobby Word chipped in 11 points.
Detroit (6-8) got 22 points from Juwan Howard, Jr., who was held to just two points in the first half. Chris Jenkins added 13 points and Jarod Williams scored 12 points.
Up seven with 1:33 to go, ORU hit 10 of 12 free throw attempts down the stretch, but 3-pointers from Howard and Jenkins in the final 15 seconds helped the Titans tie the game and send ORU to its first overtime game of the year. Detroit led for just 19 seconds in the game.
Quote of the Game
"Give them a lot of credit, they hit shot after shot to get back into the game. We have to do a better job of closing games out. I'm really proud of that group and how our guys responded in overtime. It was a dejected group on the bench but they made plays and then stepped up and hit free throws. It was a heck of a win. I've said before I don't care how you get it done on the road, it is a good win." - Scott Sutton.
Korey Billbury hit a 3-pointer with 1:16 to go in overtime to give ORU a 71-68 lead. After a stop on the defensive end and a rebound by Brandon Conley, ORU was 6-6 from the free throw line to finish off the road victory.
Oral Roberts: Obi Emegano posted his second 30-point game of the season with a career best 31. Korey Billbury added 22 points and six rebounds, while Albert Owens, despite playing just three minutes in the second half, had a team-high seven rebounds. With all of them coming in the final 30 seconds of regulation and then the overtime period, Bobby Word hit all six of his free throws en route to 11 points.
Detroit: Juwan Howard, Jr., had 22 points to lead the Titans. Chris Jenkins added 13 points and a team-high seven rebounds, while Jarod Williams added 12 points.
Inside the Box Score
- Korey Billbury (12-13) and Obi Emegano (10-12) combined for 25 of ORU's 40 free throws and 53 of the team's 77 points.
- Bobby Word was a perfect 6-6 from the free throw line in the game, with all six coming in the final 30 seconds of regulation and the overtime period.
- ORU finished the game shooting 41 percent (19-46) from the field and 40 percent (6-15) from 3-point range, including a 3-pointer by Korey Billbury with 1:16 to go in overtime to give ORU a 71-68 lead.
- The 40 percent from 3-point range was the highest on the season away from the Mabee Center and third highest of the season.
- The 40 free throws attempted by the Golden Eagles were the second highest this season only behind the 44 attempted against Tulsa.
- Detroit attempted 72 field goals in the game and hit 41.7 percent (30-72) of them. It was the most by an ORU opponent this season.
News & Notes
- Freshman Albert Owens nearly reached his career high in the first half alone, grabbing seven rebounds, one off his career high of eight set against Haskell.
- Tuesday night as ORU's first overtime game of the season and the first since February 15, 2014 against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
- It took overtime to get there, but Obi Emegano notched a new career high with 31 points, topping the 30 scored at Missouri. It is his second career 30-point game.
- Emegano's 31 points were in part because of his season-high-tying three 3-pointers. It was the second game in a row in which he has hit that mark.
- The win was ORU's first road win of the season after falling in the first six of the year.
Summit League plays begins for the Golden Eagles as they travel to Fargo, N.D., to face North Dakota State Friday, January 2. The game will tip off at 7 p.m. and will be aired on ESPN3 and will be available on the Watch ESPN app and the ESPN Full Court package.