Score: Missouri State 52 - ORU 45
Records: Missouri State (6-6) - ORU (4-7)
Location: JQH Arena - Springfield, Mo.
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - The Oral Roberts University men's basketball team went cold in the second half at Missouri State, falling to the Bears 52-45 Monday night at JQH Arena.
ORU was able to hit just 4-of-23 shots in the second half and was 0-for-9 from 3-point range in the frame, surrendering a 10-point halftime lead.
Obi Emegano and Bobby Word each had 12 points for ORU, while Emegano, Word, Denell Henderson and Brandon Conley each had six rebounds to lead the Golden Eagles.
Marcus Marshall scored 16 points and Loomis Gerring added 10, while Tyler McCullough grabbed a game-high seven rebounds helping the Bears to a 36-35 rebounding advantage.
Quote of the Game
"You aren't going to win a game on the road when you only score 14 points in the second half and don't hit a field goal in the final 10 minutes. We had some good looks but just missed them. The bottom line is to win on the road you have to make shots." - Scott Sutton
A late 9-1 run gave Missouri State its first lead of the game and one they wouldn't relinquish for the remaining 3:44 of the game.
Oral Roberts: Obi Emegano and Bobby Word led the way with 12 points each, while four guys led the rebounding efforts with six a piece. Emegano had four assists, while Aaron Young had three assists and just one turnover.
Missouri State: Marcus Marshall had 16 points but shot just 4-for14 from the field but hit 7-of-9 from the free throw line. Tyler McCullough led the Bears with seven rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 44 percent (12-27) in the first half but just 17 percent (4-23) in the second half.
- MSU shot 28 percent (8-28) in the first half and 45 percent (11-24) in the second.
- The Bears hit 81 percent (13-16) from the line while ORU's Obi Emegano and Bobby Word combined to shoot all of ORU's free throws, hitting 66 percent (10-15).
News & Notes
- Monday was the first time this season in which ORU never trailed in the first half
- After an Aaron Young 3-pointer started the scoring almost two minutes in, ORU led for the remaining 18:03 of the first half.
- A 16-6 Missouri State run to start the second half tied the game at 37-37, the first time the game was tied since it was 0-0.
- ORU's last field goal came at the 10:02 mark when Brandon Conley hit a shot to give ORU a 39-37 lead.
- ORU led the game for 32:16, the most time led since a last-second loss at Weber State December 1 (32:54).
ORU will take a break for Christmas and return to action at home Sunday, December 28 at 3 p.m. against Haskell.