Score: OU 85 - ORU - 53
Records: Oklahoma (7-2) - Oral Roberts (4-5)
Location: Lloyd Noble Center - Norman, Okla.
NORMAN, Okla. - The Oral Roberts University offense that scored 80-plus points in each of the last two games was stifled on Tuesday night as the Golden Eagles fell 85-53 at the hands of the No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners.
Albert Owens provided the majority of the offense on the night as the freshman scored a career high 12 points in the loss. Owens was the leading scorer until Bobby Word caught fire late in the game and finished with a game-high 19 points.
OU got 16 points from Buddy Hield, 14 from Tashawn Thomas, and 13 each from Ryan Spangler and Isaiah Cousins.
ORU shot just 33 percent (20-60) from the field and 37 percent (7-19) from 3-point range. OU on the other hand connected on 54 percent (37-69) from the field and hit eight 3-pointers. The Golden Eagles out-rebounded the Sooners 41-35 for the game, including 16 offensive rebounds.
Quote of the Game
"Our two biggest keys to the game were transition defense and not turning the ball over and we were bad in both. I'm not going to use the excuse of this being our third game in four days because this was a great opportunity to play one of the best teams in the country on national TV. They should have been fired up to play this game but we weren't. We have to put it behind us." - Scott Sutton
Late in the first half, Albert Owens cut it to a 29-20 deficit with 3:43 to go, but the Sooners out-scored ORU 28-6 over the next 9:43 to blow the game open.
Oral Roberts: Bobby Word finished with a game-high 19 points, hitting five 3-pointers. Albert Owens had a career-high 12 points. Word and Owens each grabbed six rebounds, while Korey Billbury led the team with seven boards.
Oklahoma: The Sooners put four players in double figures, led by Buddy Hield's 16 points. Ryan Spangler had 13 points and 10 rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU led the Sooners in rebounding 41-35, including 16 offensive rebounds, but held just an 11-10 edge in second-chance points.
- Bobby Word scored 16 of ORU's last 17 points in the game, including three 3-pointers in the final two minutes of the contest.
- There were a combined 14 free throws taken in the game, with ORU hitting 6-of-10 and the Sooners hitting 3-of-4 from the charity stripe.
- ORU turned the ball over 19 times, it was the most since giving it away 20 times in a loss at Oregon State.
News & Notes
- ORU gave up another late basket at the halftime buzzer to put the Sooners up 39-24. It was the fifth field goal that ORU has allowed in the final four seconds of a half this season.
- Down 15 at halftime, it was the largest halftime deficit for ORU this season.
- The 32-point loss was the worst since falling by 37 to Louisville, December 16, 2009.
- The 53 points scored by the Golden Eagles are the third fewest this season and came on the heels of ORU's two highest scoring outputs.
The Golden Eagles will be at Memphis on Saturday, December 20 for a 2 p.m. tip on CBS Sports Network before finishing the road trip at Missouri State Monday, December 22.