Score: ORU 86 - NMSU 83
Records: Oral Roberts (3-4) - New Mexico State (4-6)
Location: Mabee Center - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - The Oral Roberts University men's basketball team shot 65 percent (17-26) and turned the ball over just twice in the second half, racing past New Mexico State 86-83 Saturday night at the Mabee Center.
ORU (3-4) won its sixth-straight regular season game at home, and scored more than 80 points for the first time this season. The Golden Eagles used an extended run of 26-8 over a span of 6:58 in the second half to turn it into a double-digit lead.
NMSU (4-6) had six players score in double figures and shot nearly 50 percent (29-59) for the game, but could not stop ORU's offensive attack in the second half.
Quote of the Game
"I'm proud of our guys, especially how we played in the second half. The game is a lot easier when shots go in. That's a really good New Mexico State team. I think people will look back at the end of the year and circle this as a quality win for our program. Hopefully we can build off of this." - Scott Sutton
Aaron Young hit back-to-back 3-pointers as part of a 9-1 ORU run that tied the game at 46-46 with 14:33 to play. The run came after New Mexico State had opened its largest lead of the game at 8 after scoring the first four points of the second half.
Oral Roberts: Obi Emegano scored a game-high 24 points, his fourth 20-point game of the season and second in the last three games. Korey Billbury added 21 points to mark the first time ORU had two players with at least 20 points since March 1, 2014 when Shawn Glover (29) and Billbury (21) did so. Denell Henderson added 11 points and a team-high eight rebounds.
New Mexico State: All five Aggie starters and six players total scored in double figures, led by Ian Baker's 15. Jalyn Pennie led the Aggies in rebounding with eight.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU led for 26:50 of the game, including the final 13:40 of the game, roaring back after NMSU had opened up an 8 point lead in the second half.
- After turning the ball over 11 times in the first half, ORU gave it away just twice in the second half.
- ORU started the game 0-for-5 from 3-point range but hit 5 of the next 7 in the game.
- NMSU led the rebounding battle 34-30, including 17 offensive rebounds, which the Aggies turned into 19 second chance points.
- ORU hit its first 10 free throws, but was just 15-25 in the second half
News & Notes
- NMSU closed the first half on a 13-6 run to take a 36-32 lead, marking just the second time all season in which ORU trailed at the break..
- ORU used a 15-3 run over 3:29 in the second half to take over the lead and extend it to four, 52-48 with 13:03 to play in the game.
- The Golden Eagles extended the run to 26-8 over a span of 6:58 to make it 63-53.
- ORU scored 54 points in the second half. It was the first time since scoring 55 in the second half against Houston Baptist (Jan. 2, 2014) in which ORU has top 50 in the second half.
- In his first career start, Aaron Young scored a career-high 9 points, hitting all three of his 3-point attempts.
ORU will remain at the Mabee Center Monday, December 15 for a 7 p.m. tip off against Missouri State.