Score: Tulsa 68 - ORU 77
Records: Tulsa 0-1 - ORU 1-0
Location: Mabee Center - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - A 16-5 run stretching more than five minutes in the second half was all the breathing room the Oral Roberts University men's basketball team needed as the Golden Eagles topped crosstown rival Tulsa 77-68 in the PSO Mayor's Cup game at the Mabee Center.
In front of a homecoming crowd of 6,534, ORU led for more than 33 minutes of the game and pulled away thanks to 14-second half points from sophomore Bobby Word, who scored eight-straight as part of a 12-4 ORU run. ORU also got a game-high 26 points from Obi Emegano and 18 points, 11 rebounds from Korey Billbury. The duo of Emegano and Billbury combined to shoot 35 free throws, with Emegano connecting on 14 of his 16 attempts. Adrion Webber also caught fire and added 10 points.
Tulsa had four double-digit scorers, led by D'Andre Wright's 17 points. James Woodard added 16, Rashad Smith had 13 points and nine rebounds, and Marquel Curtis chipped in 12 points.
Quote of the Game
"Really proud of our guys. They battled again. They didn't play well, but they came up with plays. I think we all put too much into 'what's wrong with Obi,' but that was the real Obi tonight. He was aggressive, wanting the ball and drawing fouls and then stepping up and making free throws. He was the best player on the floor tonight." - Scott Sutton.
With ORU leading 47-43 with 9:20 to play, ORU rattled off a 13-0 run to take its largest lead of the game at 17, 60-43. During that run, Obi Emegano was 6-for-6 from the free throw line.
Oral Roberts: Obi Emegano had 26 points, while Korey Billbury added the fifth double-double of his career with 18 points and 11 rebounds. Emegano also led the team with four assists, his career high.
Tulsa: D'Andre Wright had 17 points, while James Woodard added 16 points. Rashad Ray had four of the team's eight assists.
Inside the Box Score
- The first of many extended runs in the game, ORU mounted a 15-2 run, including eight-straight points from Adrion Webber, to take a 26-15 lead in the first half, the largest lead for either team in the half.
- A 13-3 Tulsa run, stretching through halftime, got the Golden Hurricane back to within one, 29-28. It was the closest the game had been since ORU took a 14-13 lead (10:03).
- ORU held the lead for 33:43 of the game. Tulsa led for just 3:49.
- Tulsa held a 44-36 edge in rebounding and a 20-6 advantage in in second-chance points
News & Notes
- After losing five season openers in a row, ORU has now started 1-0 two years in a row, with both wins coming in the PSO Mayor's Cup game against Tulsa.
- Saturday marked the first time since November 9, 2007 in which ORU has opened the season at home.
- ORU had seven blocks in the game, the most since swatting 10 shots against New Orleans (2/6/14).
- Scott Sutton is now 7-8 all-time against Tulsa as a head coach
The Golden Eagles embark on a 15-day road trip that includes five games in four different states. The first of the five-game road trip will be Wednesday, November 19 at Missouri, with tip-off from Mizzou Arena scheduled for 7 p.m. on the SEC Network +.