Score: RSU 60 - ORU 73
Records: RSU (0-1 EXH) - ORU (2-0 EXH)
Location: Mabee Center - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - For the second time in as many preseason games, the Oral Roberts University men's basketball team put together a dominant second half, finishing off Rogers State 73-60 Saturday night at the Mabee Center.
ORU (2-0 EXH) out-scored RSU (0-1 EXH) by 17 in the second half, shooting 55 percent (16-29) in the half. ORU got 18 points from Korey Billbury, 16 points from Obi Emegano, 13 of which came in the second half, and 10 points from Dederick Lee. Billbury and Denell Henderson tied for team-high honors with seven boards apiece.
RSU was led by DesJuan Newton who scored 13 points, including eight from the free throw line. Deran Banton (12) and J.C. Hartzler (10) also reached double figures for the Hillcats.
Quote of the Game
"The only goal of the preseason is to get better every day. I think we did that and we will continue to get better going into the game against Tulsa." - Obi Emegano
Obi Emegano caught fire in the second half and scored seven straight to aid in a 20-4 run by the Golden Eagles to notch a double-digit lead. Emegano capped the run with a triple to make it 48-36 with 12:06 to play.
Oral Roberts: Korey Billbury led all scorers with 18 points and tied Denell Henderson for a game-high 7 rebounds. Obi Emegano scored 13 points in the second half and finished the game with 16.
East Central: DesJuan Newtonhad 13 points, including an 8-10 mark from the free throw. Frederico Santos led the Hillcats with six rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- With ORU up 21-16 midway through the first half, RSU out-scored the Golden Eagles 16-7 the rest of the way to take a 32-28 lead into the locker room.
- ORU mounted the biggest run for either team, out-scoring RSU 11-2 out of halftime to take a 39-34 lead
- ORU held a 43-30 advantage in rebounding, including 18 offensive rebounds that led to 17 second chance points.
- ORU shot 42.9 percent (27-63) for the game from the floor, 31.8 percent (7-22) from 3-point range, and hit 75 percent (12-16) from the free throw line
- RSU shot 38.2 percent (21-55) from the floor, 25 percent (5-20) from 3-point range, and 86.7 percent (13-15) from the free throw line.
News & Notes
- The two teams combined to go scoreless for 4:27 in the first half with the game tied at 23-23.
- ORU moves to a perfect 25-0 in exhibition games since 2002-03.
- After leading ORU in rebounding last season, Korey Billbury has led, or been tied for the team lead, in rebounds in each of the two exhibition games.
- Once the ORU lead reached 12 (48-36), RSU never got closer than 10 the rest of the way.
ORU will host Tulsa in the PSO Mayor's Cup to open the regular season November 15. Tip-off between the crosstown rivals is scheduled for 7 p.m. from the Mabee Center.