Score: Oral Roberts 58 – IUPUI 56
Records: ORU 18-13 – IUPUI 10-21
Location: Denny Sanford PREMIER CENTER – Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – In a game that featured 13 ties and 11 lead changes, it was No. 3 Oral Roberts that made plays down the stretch to advance to the semifinals of the Summit League Tournament with a 58-56 win over No. 6 IUPUI Sunday night at the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center.
ORU was 8-10 from the free throw line in the final minute of the game to hold off the charging Jaguars. Neither team led by more than four points in the game.
The Golden Eagles got 14 points from Obi Emegano thanks to a 9-10 effort from the free throw line in the game. A balanced offensive effort, Aaron Young and Bobby Word each chipped in 10 points, while Brandon Conley and Denell Henderson added nine points each. Henderson led the team with seven rebounds, while Word and Conley each had six boards.
IUPUI got 15 points from Khufu Najee and a double-double effort of 14 points and 16 rebounds from DavRon Williams.
Quote of the Game
"This was a great game. It is a great arena and a great atmosphere and I'm just thankful that we were able to grind out the win. We knew this was going to be a difficult game. We didn't play great but I think it's a typical first round game. We had a little bit of nerves and it showed tonight. We made enough plays down the stretch, and made enough free throws to get the win." – Coach Scott Sutton
Obi Emegano and Adrion Webber combined to hit five free throws inside the final 20 seconds to hold off IUPUI.
Oral Roberts: Obi Emegano led ORU with 14 points while Denell Henderson had nine points and a team-high seven rebounds. Aaron Young led the Golden Eagles with three assists.
IUPUI: Khufu Najee's 15 points led the Jaguars with 15 points and three assists, while DavRon Williams had 14 points and 16 rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- IUPUI held a slight 33-32 advantage over ORU in rebounding, including 16 offensive rebounds.
- ORU turned it over 14 times while IUPUI gave it away just seven times. ORU is now 4-8 this season when turning it over more than its opponent.
- ORU finished the game 4-10 from the 3-point line but took just one 3-point attempt in the second half.
- ORU shot 18-41 (43.9 percent) from the field. IUPUI was 22-59 (37.3 percent).
- The Golden Eagles were 18-23 (78.3 percent) from the free throw line. The 18 made free throws are the most since going 23-34 against Omaha (Feb. 19).
News & Notes
- ORU hit four 3-pointers in the game and kept its streak alive, making a 3-pointer in 87th consecutive games.
- The Golden Eagles completed the 3-game sweep over IUPUI and has now won eight straight meetings against the Jaguars.
- The 3-game sweep was the first time ORU has beaten the same team three times in a year since topping IPFPW three times in 2011-12.
- ORU is 5-2 against IUPUI in the Summit League Tournament.
- The Golden Eagles have won their first game of the league tournament for the fourth time in five years.
ORU will face No. 2 North Dakota State at 8:30 p.m. Monday evening in the semifinals of the Summit League Tournament. That contest will be broadcast on ESPN3.