Score: Oral Roberts 0 – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 5
Records: ORU (3-1) – TAMUCC (3-4)
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas (Whataburger Field)
(Photo credit: Olivia Rook)
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – The Oral Roberts baseball team suffered its first loss of the season at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Friday night, 5-1, from Whataburger Field.
Playing in a heavy fog that made seeing the ball nearly impossible, the Golden Eagles could not find the offense they used opening weekend coming up just a sharp single from Hunter Wilson leading off the ninth inning. The Spiro, Oklahoma, native stole second base before scoring on a wild pitch to break the shutout.
The Islanders took advantage of two errors by the ORU defense, both coming with two outs, which led to three of the five runs being scored.
TAMUCC opened the scoring in the bottom of the third getting a two-run double off the bat of Itchy Burts. The Islanders got a one-out walk, their only free base of the night, followed by a single to put two on base. With runners on the corners, Burts lifted a double past a diving ORU fielder to bring home both runners for a 2-0 lead to the home side.
Inside the Box Score
- Wilson reached base twice for ORU adding a lead-off walk in the sixth before his single in the ninth.
- The Golden Eagles threatened to break the game open in the first inning getting two, one-out walks by Blake Hall and Andrew Pace. ORU eventually put runners on the corners when Hall scampered to third on a wild pitch before TAMUCC stopped the frame.
- ORU starting pitcher Josh McMinn suffered the loss on the mound allowing five runs, two earned, across seven innings. The senior gave up nine hits, while striking out six and walking one.
- Sam Rainwater pitched a perfect frame in the bottom of the eighth getting a pair of backward K's from the bullpen.
- Islanders' starting pitcher Dustin Lacaze limited the Golden Eagles to four base runners, all coming via walks, as he struck out 11 in seven innings of no-hit work.
ORU continues its weekend at the 2019 Kleberg Bank College Classic taking on BYU for a Saturday afternoon tilt beginning at 1 p.m. Listen live to the game on the ORU Sports Network.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.