Score: Oral Roberts 7 – North Dakota State 4
Records: ORU (30-15, 19-5 Summit League) – NDSU (18-22, 9-13 Summit League)
Location: Fargo, N.D. (Newman Outdoor Field)
FARGO, N.D. – A career-high four hits from Spencer Henson helped the Oral Roberts baseball team extend its season-long win streak to nine games after a 7-4 victory over North Dakota State Sunday afternoon at Newman Outdoor Field.
The Golden Eagles scored all of their runs in four of the final six innings and excelled early in frames. ORU's lead-off hitters went 5-for-8 with two home runs, three singles and a walk as it posted 14 hits in the contest to earn its first three-game sweep at NDSU in program history.
After the Bison evened the score in the bottom half of the fourth, 2-2, the Golden Eagles scored the next three runs to take command of the series finale before adding two insurance markers in the ninth.
Quote of the Day
"We knew the bullpen arm was coming because Kevin Folman has been good all year. We knew at some point we would have to beat him and I thought our guys did a really good job. We hit a lot of balls hard, put a lot of balls in play and we just kept showing up. We kept grinding and were finally able to cash in a couple of times." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
Andrew Pace and Jack Rosenberg started the top of the fourth frame drawing walks before a single by Brody Gibson loaded the bases with no outs and a 1-0 deficit. The Bison turned to their bullpen and Harrison Smith lifted a sacrifice fly into left allowing Pace to race home and even the score. Nick Rotola followed with a RBI single as Rosenberg beat the throw to the plate and scored the go-ahead run as ORU moved in front, 2-1. That kick-started the Golden Eagles as they went on to score five more times and win their ninth-straight contest.
Inside the Box Score
- Henson added a career-high four hits for the ORU offense, including his Summit League-leading eighth home run of the campaign on the first pitch of the ninth inning. He capped the weekend going 4-for-5 with two runs scored and a RBI.
- Rotola moved to the top spot in the lineup and produced his fifth-consecutive game with multiple hits as the senior went 3-for-6. He lined a triple off the base of the wall in the sixth after hitting a RBI single in the fourth.
- Pace tallied a 2-for-3 day at the plate with two runs scored and two walks. Gibson also posted a pair of hits, including his first-collegiate triple in RBI fashion in the ninth.
- Trevor McCutchin broke a 2-2 tie launching a pinch-hit, solo home run to right field starting the top of the sixth. It was his first home run of the season.
- Justin McGregor pitched 5.2 innings in the start allowing two runs on seven hits, while the senior from Midwest City, Oklahoma, struck out four picking up his fifth win of the year. Kyler Stout recorded the final three outs as he earned his 12th save of 2018, a career high after finishing with 11 a year ago.
- The Golden Eagles won their 30th game of the season, reaching the milestone for the 41st time in school history.
ORU closes a four-game road stretch heading to Wichita, Kansas, for a matchup with regional power Wichita State Tuesday night. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m. with live audio coverage on the ORU Sports Network.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.