Score: Oral Roberts 8 – South Dakota State 1
Records: ORU (23-15, 13-5 Summit League) – SDSU (10-22, 8-7 Summit League)
Location: Omaha, Neb. (Millard North High School)
OMAHA, Neb. – Justin McGregor allowed just one run for the Oral Roberts baseball team in an 8-1 win over South Dakota State Saturday afternoon at Millard North High School giving ORU Head Coach Ryan Folmar the 200th victory of his career.
The Golden Eagles clinched the Summit League series away from home getting 6.2 innings from McGregor holding the Jackrabbits off the scoreboard until the seventh inning, which allowed the offense to take control.
Quote of the Day
"We didn't have many empty hits. All but one hit we had either drove in a run, or the guy that got the hit scored a run. So we had a lot of good production out of every hit we had. We drew some walks early when we weren't swinging the bat well, which helped produced some runs. I was really proud of that production." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
With the Golden Eagles clinging to a 2-0 lead over the Jackrabbits, McGregor worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the bottom of the fifth. SDSU put runners on via a lead-off walk before a single and another walk loaded the bases with one out. McGregor struck out the next batter showcasing his pinpoint accuracy on a called third strike before firing a fastball past the swinging SDSU hitter that preserved the slim margin. ORU went on to score six times from that point to close out the series victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Coach Folmar won the 200th game of his career Saturday improving to 200-126 in his sixth season with the Golden Eagles. He is the fifth coach in program history to reach the milestone.
- It was the third-straight outing for McGregor where he allowed one earned run or less as he surrendered one over 6.2 innings of work. The senior struck out seven, but walked five, on four hits moving to 4-1 on the season.
- Henson and Keizor provided a bulk of the offense for the Golden Eagles as each scored twice and had multi-hit efforts at the plate. Henson added insurance markers in the eighth as he muscled a two-run home run over the fence in left. It was his fifth home run of the year and first away from home. Keizor scored both of his runs on wild pitches by the Jackrabbits after recording a pair of doubles.
- Daniel Kloehr brought home the second run of the contest and the eventual winning run as he lifted a pinch-hit sacrifice fly into deep left field in the fourth inning.
- Nick Roark registered his third multi-hit game of the series going 2-for-6 with RBI singles in the sixth and ninth innings.
- ORU doubled its advantage scoring twice in a sixth inning that lasted more than 30 minutes as SDSU sent five pitchers to the mound.
- Brady Womacks helped McGregor by stranding three runners after forcing a fly ball out on one pitch ending the seventh inning. He and Taylor Varnell combined to shut down the Jackrabbits in the final 2.1 innings with both pitchers striking out two from the bullpen.
The Golden Eagles do not have a mid-week contest and return to Summit League play April 27-29 hosting Western Illinois for a three-game series at J.L. Johnson Stadium. The weekend gets started Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPN3 and KGEB TV-53 Tulsa.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.