Score: Nebraska 4 – Oral Roberts 11
Records: NU (11-9) – ORU (12-6)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (J.L. Johnson Stadium)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts baseball team put together a complete performance in an 11-4 victory over visiting Nebraska Tuesday evening at J.L. Johnson Stadium by posting two big innings.
The Golden Eagles scored four times in the second inning to push their lead to 5-0 thanks to a two-run double by Jared Montoya. Spencer Henson launched a three-run home run during a six-run fifth inning to put the game out of reach as part of his career-high, four RBI effort.
Taylor Varnell tallied another strong performance as the starting pitcher throwing a career-high six innings and matched his ORU best with eight strikeouts. The senior allowed three runs on five hits before giving way to the bullpen.
Quote of the Day
"Obviously, we made some big swings. I thought we had a lot of good quality at-bats deep in counts that we were able to finish off with some hits. We made some mistakes though. We walked a couple of guys, we kicked a double-play ball and we made a base running mistake. So I think we played well, but there is still room for improvement." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
ORU scored quickly in the first inning taking advantage of a two-out double by Noah Cummings, but it was a two-run double by Montoya that broke things open in the second. Nick Rotola and Jack Rosenberg walked to start the inning and moved into scoring position on Andrew Pace's sacrifice bunt. Montoya pulled the double to left and Nick Roark followed with an RBI single back up the middle. A bases-loaded, two-out walk to Riley Keizor capped the four-run frame for ORU and gave the home side a 5-0 advantage on the Huskers.
Inside the Box Score
- Offensive production came from the entire lineup as seven players had at least one hit led by Nick Roark and Henson, as each tallied two hits.
- Henson belted a no-doubt home run to left center in the fifth to take over the team lead with three round trippers this season. He also regained the top spot in the RBI category with his career day at the plate, going 2-for-4 and four RBI, moving up to 18 this year.
- Montoya delivered another extra-base hit for ORU and in his nine total hits this season; six have gone for extra bases with his team-leading fifth double. He closed the day with three RBI going for 1-for-3.
- Varnell was sharp from the first pitch as he struck out the side in the opening frame and faced one more than the minimum through three innings. He finished with eight strikeouts, matching his career-best total from last week, and now has 26 punch outs in 19 innings this season.
- Brady Womacks shut down Nebraska in a perfect ninth inning using only eight pitches, all strikes, and fanned a pair. Grant Townsend returned to form in a tight spot late in the game and retired the Huskers in the seventh, despite entering with the bases loaded and no outs. The junior pitched two innings and struck out two, while giving up one hit.
The Golden Eagles close the homestand Wednesday afternoon hosting the Huskers for game two of the mid-week series. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. with full video, audio and stat coverage on the ORU Sports Network.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.