Score: SIUE 2 – Oral Roberts 4
Records: SIUE (3-5) – ORU (6-2)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (J.L. Johnson Stadium)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts baseball team got three hits each from Nick Rotola and Cal Hernandez, while Miguel Ausua pitched seven strong innings in a 4-2 win over SIUE Saturday afternoon at J.L. Johnson Stadium to even the weekend series.
Rotola tallied a double, single and triple in his first three plate appearances and Hernandez added a pair of two-out, RBI singles pushing the Golden Eagles offensively.
Ausua struck out four and allowed two runs before relievers Brady Womacks and Kyler Stout shut down the Cougars in the final two innings. Stout earned his fourth save in four perfect appearances from the bullpen.
ORU jumped on SIUE starting pitcher Ryan Byrd in the first inning scoring twice to take control of the contest. Rotola doubled to the wall in left leading the frame and Hernandez dropped a bunt single that was thrown away allowing the opening run to score. Noah Cummings added a RBI single and gave the Golden Eagles' pitchers a two-run cushion.
Inside the Box Score
- Ausua was sharp from the opening inning needing only 11 pitches before a five-pitch second. The senior went seven innings allowing two runs on five hits and struck out four for his first win of the year.
- Rotola came a home run shy of the cycle and remained dialed in with his second 3-for-5 performance of the weekend.
- Hernandez tallied his second, three-hit effort of the campaign and now has eight hits over his last 12 at-bats. The junior matched his career best with two RBI in the game and has now scored a run in each of his last three games.
- Cummings' RBI single in the first inning was the 147th of his tenure as the senior moved into 10th on the all-time list.
- Womacks made his first relief appearance for the Golden Eagles since Feb. 18, 2017 after missing the rest of the last season. The senior captain struck out one and gave up one hit as he makes his return to the lineup.
- Stout fanned one SIUE hitter of the three he faced and now is tied for the NCAA lead with four saves. Saturday was his 67th career appearance taking sole possession of eighth in ORU baseball history.
ORU closes the non-conference weekend with the Cougars Sunday with the rubber game at noon as potential weather has pushed up the original start time. Catch the game live on the ORU Sports Network with video, audio and stats.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.