Score: Oral Roberts 5 - South Dakota State 2
Records: ORU (32-16, 21-6) - SDSU (19-31, 12-15)
Location: Erv Huether Field - Brookings, S.D.
Box Score (PDF)
BROOKINGS, S.D. – The Oral Roberts baseball team wrapped up a successful road trip at South Dakota State Sunday afternoon, defeating the Jackrabbits, 5-2, at Erv Huether Field. The win moves the Golden Eagles to 32-16 overall and 21-6 in Summit League action.
Sophomore Noah Cummings led the Golden Eagles, reaching base in each of his five plate appearances and finishing the day 4-for-4. The Alpine, California native drove in two runs, scored twice and hit his fourth home run of the year in the third inning.
The Jackrabbits were held in check in the final three innings Sunday, after mounting comebacks in the previous two contests. Junior Grant Glaze recorded his second save of the season after tossing the final three innings and giving up just one hit, a solo home run from Tony Kjolsing, in the seventh inning. It was the only earned run given up by the Golden Eagles in the game.
ORU was able to jump out in front in the first thanks to a leadoff double from Nick Rotola who would come home to score on a one-out single from Cummings. Oral Roberts and the Jacks would trade runs in the third.
Trevor McCutchin would score the third run of the game in the fourth inning after leading off the frame with a single up the middle. Chase Stafford would later drive him in on a fielder's choice. The Golden Eagles were able to play small ball and pick up a pair of runs in the eighth and ninth innings. Trent Shelton and Brent Williams each recorded RBI's on sacrifice flies extend the lead to 5-2.
Cale Tims (6-1) recorded his team-high sixth victory of the season after going a six complete innings and giving up only four base hits. The Jenks, Oklahoma product struck out two batter and retired the side in order twice on the afternoon.
- The Golden Eagles improve to 5-1 on the season against South Dakota State and 30-12 all-time in the series.
- The sweep marked the fourth of the year for the Golden Eagles and the first sweep on the road.
- Noah Cummings reached base in five consecutive appearances. The first time since April 6, 2016 when Matt Whatley did so against Western Illinois. Cummings had four of the Golden Eagles' eight base hits.
- Chase Stafford finished 2-for-3 on the day. He hit his 19th double of the season in the seventh.
- ORU has now won seven of their last ten games. The Golden Eagles have an 11-game winning streak at J.L. Johnson Stadium and a three-game winning streak on the road.
- ORU is now 10-6 in their road grey uniforms.
- SDSU's starting pitcher Ryan Froom fell to 2-7 on the year. Tony Kjolsing finished 2-for-4 with a homer.
The Golden Eagles will look to wrap up their home schedule on Tuesday when they welcome Oklahoma State to J.L. Johnson in a midweek matchup. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or gotowww.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.