Score: Oral Roberts 14 - Little Rock 5
Records: ORU (4-4) - LR (4-5)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - A flurry of early runs led Oral Roberts to its fourth victory of the season and Head Coach Ryan Folmar's 100th career victory as the Golden Eagles defeated Little Rock 14-5 Friday afternoon at J.L. Johnson Stadium. Four Golden Eagles finished the day with multiple hits as ORU poked 18 base hits on the afternoon.
Sophomore Matt Whatley led the team offensively, finishing 4-for-4 with a pair of doubles and four RBI. The Claremore, Oklahoma native drove in the first run of the game after Nick Rotola and Nick Roark drew consecutive walks to start the ORU half of the first.
It was all Oral Roberts from the start as the Golden Eagles scored 10 runs in the first three innings. The offense was clicking as ORU batted nine players in both the first and third innings.
Trevin Sonnier, Michael Hungate and Rotola also joined Whatley with multiple hits. Sonnier finished with three hits and a walk, driving in two runs. Hungate, a junior, picked up a pair of hits and scored twice on the day while Rotola went 4-for-5 with three RBI and three runs.
Byrce Howe picked up his third start of the season for ORU. The Claremore, Oklahoma native tossed six innings in the victory, striking out one while giving up only three runs.
Cory Malcom took the loss for the Trojans after giving up nine earned runs in two and a third innings of work. The rest of the Little Rock staff finished the contest, giving up four earned runs and striking out seven.
- Ryan Folmar is the sixth head coach in program history to reach 100 career wins.
- Five of ORU's first six hits went through the middle infield.
- Brent Williams, Whatley and Sonnier each extended their reached base streak to eight games, while Whatley pushed his hitting streak to a team-high seven.
- The Golden Eagles turned double plays in both the first and second innings. As a team, ORU turned three.
- The Golden Eagles outhit Little Rock, 18-10. The 18 hits were also a season-high.
- Trent Shelton and Evan Eubanks made their season debuts for the Golden Eagles. Eubanks pitched the final three innings, allowing four hits and striking out two. Shelton Picked up a pinch hit single in the eighth and came around to score.
The Golden Eagles will play a doubleheader Saturday starting at 2 p.m. Nick Wood will get the nod during game one while Logan Michaels will start the second game of the day. The two teams will wrap up the series Sunday at 1 p.m. at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.